Battery advice

M

MarkTheSpark

I had a weird problem with my wife's Fuji A400 the other day. It wouldn't switch on properly, or function and, as it's new, I sent it back.

It came back unaltered with some advice; are you using batteries of more than 1800mAh? Then I looked, and a lot of the rechargeables and the cheap alkalines don't have much output. Many digis just can't function without quite a lot of output from the batteries.

So just check what it says on the batteries. Rechargeables have the output marked, so DON'T buy 1300mAh batteries - look for 2000mAh plus. If you're using alkalines, get the best, like Duracell.

The A400 now works perfectly.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Might have been a good idea if Fuji advised you of this in the instruction manual rather than having to send it back them.

M

MarkTheSpark

Couldn't agree more. In fact, they just sent the camera back without any advice, still not functioning. It was only when I called that they told me what the engineer decided the problem was.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Seems to me a lot of companies these days just have the "can't be arsed" attitude, once they get your money unless they can sell you something else they just don't care, plenty of useless information in their leaflets but something like that which would actually be useful they don't include or maybe I'm just cynical

alan

Reaction score
Mark, take a look in wilkonsons if you have one near you, if not argos.

they sell 4 2500mah aa size, with charger for less the ?20, i think argos is about ?25.
made by uniross.

bloody good batteries, i have been using mine for over a year. i can take 200+ pics on one set.

forget duracel, and energizer they would turn my camera on and die with it 10 photos.

S

Scott Whatmore

I've just returned from a trip to the Lake district where I had trouble with my Hahnel 2000Mah NiMh rechargeable batteries. One pair would take 20-40 pics but the other would discharge after 10-15 pics. Neither are performing to a standard I would expect.

I was about to start a thread for advice on which were the best ones to buy when I come across this.

Wilko's near me as well

Thanks alan

stikflote

Reaction score
both my camera,s take LI-ION batteries im glad to say

D

Derek Emerson

For batteries, chargers, etc. online try www.cpc.co.uk or alternatively telephone 08701 20 25 30 I don't have a vested interest in the company, but theirs is the best sevice with the lowest prices I've ever seen. I've got uniross batteries in my digicam at the moment because I don't use it that often, but when the good weather comes (if?) I shall be calling that number to see if they have any Varta batteries.

Callum Mcinerney

Reaction score
Scott... I can tell you why it did that

The tempreture!

I fish for carp in the winter and I can get 3 photos out of a set of duracel batteries but if I hold them in my hands and blow on them for a bit I can get about 15 pictures!

The tempreture effect batteries a lot.. in russia a camcorder which has 24hr battery life lasted only 1 hour 30min in -10C

Next time if it's not giving you many photos try giving them a little blow, it can make all the difference.

matt

Reaction score
yeh give your batteries a blow job it livens em up no end!

S

Sean Meeghan

I've tried rechargables in my camera, but I've found that they don't hold their charge very well if left for long periods. This might be the reason why you had the problem you had Scott as my spares are next to useless after a couple of weeks.

I've got Uniross 2300 NiMH.

Anyone else had this problem and is there a solution?

W

Wolfman Woody

I'm using Panasonic 2100MaH batteries in my Fuji and they give me around 50 or so shots half of them with flash or more than 50 without flash at all. I have 4 which I rotate, 2 in use and 2 out/on charge.

T

The Monk

I wouldnt use rechargables I always buy the best batteries possible, usually duracell, being a wedding photographer I need reliability

M

MarkTheSpark

both my camera,s take LI-ION batteries im glad to say

Even Li-ion batteries have their issues, one being a capacity problem after recharging.

I take your point, Monk, about rechargeables - they tend to fail very suddenly, not gradually like alkalines. But if I were you I'd have a Quantum pack and dispense with pencells of all kinds.

T

The Monk

I always carry loads of spare batteries Mark, these are for the flash guns I use, not the cameras, the cameras have their own batteries with no memory and I always carry spares of those too, in winter I keep a spare camera battery close to by body, they dont like the cold

M

MarkTheSpark

Quantum power packs are for flash units AND cameras, Monk. Awesome storage and performance, with a belt thingie to carry them.

T

The Monk

Oh I know what you mean Mark, I like to travel as light as possible though mate, I hate to have to chase slappers round the dance floor with one of those power pack belt things on, it would slow me down too much mate!