portland waters near east stoke

capbrown

Reaction score
does anyone know where this is or have any information?

M

MarkTheSpark

As far as I recall, as a person from Dorset, East Stoke is where the Freshwater Fish labs are, and Portland is in the same county.

Have you googled this?

M

MarkTheSpark

Just a thought; does this have anything to do with bass fishing or Mike Ladle? The connection being that Mike works or worked at East Stoke and fishes Portland waters

capbrown

Reaction score
its a match in two weeks near east stoke,newark area but ive never heard of it,.

Trisantona

Reaction score
It's at Sibthorpe ,on the A46 just west of Newark,turn down lodge lane,(there are two of these unfortunately ,you want the turn for sibthorpe)carry on down that rd.2-3 miles,just follow your nose through the village some narrow road and twists and turns,when you get through village about a mile on left,well signposted at gate.original pond is on the right,circular match pond straight ahead over little bridge,and new lakes on left.you'll need a variety of baits depending on which lake you fish.

Trisantona

Reaction score
From nottingham side turn is on right near the top of a long hill.go through Elston straight on,over the little river.then fishery on left.smallish carp should win match but i believe the new lake has been stocked with barbel.

Maverick

Reaction score
alick

I fished a charity match there last year and had a couple of pleasure sessions in the run up. There was only the main circular lake and the snake then, the others were still being dug out. Main species are carp (all varieties) with some small barbel in the snake. However as a river angler i only fish commercials in the close season (never in matches either) so am a total novice with carp

I drew the circular lake in the match, fished pole at about 8m and had 26lb of carp to 5lb and a few skimmers and bits, taken on a variety of baits, and caught at all depths, problem was keeping the fish in front of me. Top weight on that lake was about 45lb, carp taken on pole and paste fished very shallow, but don't ignore the feeder/bomb. There's a big island too, though its out of pole range.

Snake is 11-12m wide, the match i was in was won the 176lb from here, carp to 9lb on pole fished tight to the far bank. However when i pleasure fished the snake i couldn't get carp any bigger than about 3lb, plus some barbel 12oz - 1lb. I caught well down the middle as well as right over, but in a match this may not be so productive.

If you're local i'd suggest having a drive over to sus it out as i don't know what lake your match will be on. Good luck mate.