Spanish wild carp

peter Barton

Reaction score
As a very recent migrant to Costa Blanca from Derbys.. I have found the Pego marshes as my nearest opportunity to Calpe to fish. The carp are wild if not savage and make our uk carp seem tame. In the same dykes there are v. many black bass to 5lb and I am going to fly fish for them as the locals spin. The scenery can be marvellous with a mountainous background--- not at all what you expect in the "costas" Much to learn yet Barton

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Maybe you could put these on the venue section for any holiday makers wanting to get a few hours in .

peter Barton

Reaction score
Nice idea until you run into the need for a licence! Not at all like uk as you are up against Spanish bureaucracy. The police check regularly and it took me 8 days thro` a bank to get fixed up. Also, and this is horrifying, you are supposed to kill all your carp as they are not regarded as indigenous species. Add to that the East Europeans eating them and it is a problem. It seems to me that Murcia province ( different licence !! ) has the better facilities and waters Not altogether a pretty picture --- stick to harbour Mullett
peter barton

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Shame that Peter you will just have to stop teasing us with the pictures then .Life can't be three bad though what with the sun and sand and cigars Peter the Pego looks nice by the way.

Roger Stroud

Reaction score
Yes the Eastern Europeans do eat the carp but there is no pressure on anyone to kill them.
When you apply through the Caja Rural Banks for a licence (appx 10 euros per year) you can wait for up to 3 weeks for it to arrive but you are given a receipt by the bank which allows you to fish immediately.
In 2 years fishing out here in Pego Marshes, Rio Serpis, Beniarres and Bellus Reservoirs, I have never seen a policeman checking licences. But remember no freshwater night fishing is allowed.
Enjoy your carp fishing all year round amongst the beautiful scenary of Northern Costa Blanca.

T

The Piker

Well well,the man from Delmonte...

Goes fishing..............

The Monk

Reaction score
yes sadly the Spanish are a bit backward, I should knowI have a Spanish brother in law, he thought I was a bit weird why I tried to catch mullet on crust whenthe Spanish caught them on foul hook with a treble and a bit of silver paper on the end,its a great shame, these fish are not unlike the wildies we once had in numbers in the UK