what keeps you going?

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I suppose i'm quite lucky...single and a job that's quite flexible. fished all my life mainly as a club match angler but i also enjoy pleasure fishing. most sundays i'm either on the thames, cherwell or the oxford canal fishing small matches....it's a good laugh with good freinds and most importantly not taken too seriuosly. I'm 40 and quite often i'm the youngest amongst them, it makes you think how long these clubs and matches will continue for....but that's another story!

I moved to oxford 10 years ago and heard about the big cherwell barbel so i thought i would have go for them...didnt take me long to realise there were'nt many left but i did manage a few the best going 10-3. i then started fishing the seacourt stream over a few years i had quite a few the best going 10-11...but over the last few years that small stream as gone the same way as the cherwell.

nowadays if i want to fish for barbel i have travel mainly to the severn, teme and wye...not too far from oxford. other anglers say to me why don't i fish the likes of the kennet, loddon or st patricks they're much closer? Simple really crayfish! i'ts bad enough putting up with them in matches and with pretty much all my barbel fishing being legering I just cant bring myself to keep feeding the b'stards!

the last couple of years i've thought about hanging up the match kit and having a serious go for some biggies and this year along with a mate we've spent alot of time on the lower severn we've both caught plenty through the summer with fish going over 12lb...what else could possibly be in there? I know the record off the severn doesnt compare to other rivers but the not knowing aspect of what could be there keeps taking me back.

If i fished the rivers around the south east i would feel like these rivers have already thrown up there secrets...maybe the thames could compare to the lower severn but it just doesnt do it with all the boats and people around....i'm bit of a loaner when i'm away for a few days.

So what could the lower severn throw up? theres been lots written about and lots have tried for the big ones. all i know when i'm there with all this water in front of me and barely another angler for miles it allows me to dream of what maybe. I feel i've just scratched the surface and the fish me and my mate have caught this year have been caught in a simple fashion and i would say barely any of this fish have ever been caught before.

Now after a long think about it i reckon I have the best of what angling around my way can offer me...the fun and challenge of a local match and the chance to go after that mythical severn monster!

roll on the next severn session!

Cheers
Jason