Loading line on a reel

C

Cheese Paste

This might have been covered before but I would like to know how some people load the their reels with new line.

I normally get someone to hold a pencil through the middle of the spool and I wind it on. I have seen in magazines and books that the person holding the spool should make sure the face is pointing at the reel to eliminate any line twist though I am sceptical that it works.

C

Carp Angler

A warm bucket of water and a copy of the yellow pages.

D

Del Jarman

C.A. That's the best way I've ever used. Works for a young man called Alan Scotthorne if I remember rightly. I believe he might know a thing or two about fishing.

J

Jon Moores

I used to use the revolving spool, but load it from the end of the spool now. The line needs to come off the spool anti clockwise (clockwise for old mitchels as they rotate the other way. This does seem to give less initial twist.

J

John Pleasance

Here's my way,Centre pins are fairly obvious, the spool goes on a bankstick trapped under the lid of the freezer and just wind it on.Fixed spools,well I've got Mitchells and others that go the opposite way so the method for me with F/S reels is: spool on the floor, line through the butt ring, reel attached to rod, wind on about 10 turns and stop,open the bale arm and pull the new line back off the reel again,if it all twists up together it's coming off the spool the wrong way so turn the spool over on the floor and then continue to wind all the line on,keeping it reasonably tight between the fingers held in front of the spool.

C

Cakey

Id still love to know what he does with the yellow pages.

C

Clive Evans

probably uses it as a high-resistance bite indicator.
And the bowl of warm water? Anybody's guess.