spinning bait

Tony Hyland 2

Reaction score
how do i stop my maggots from spinning,not been fishing for long.so any help would be great.been in a club for 3 years,never won a match,but last week i came 3rd i was over the moon,so im getting there.next step a double any tips on how to catch my first double,sorrow i went on a bit

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I assume you're using double maggot and finding they spin on the retrieve. If so, hook the first one as normal - through the fat end - but hook the second through the thin end. That way they'll lie almost parallel on the hook and won't create a propeller effect in the water.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Fred, that is the general answer to this problem but it doesn't always work as you will probably know.

One of the main causes of line spin is retrieving too quickly which creates this propeller effect and it can happen with a single maggot as well.

I'm not sure whether it is possible to eliminate it totally but one of the best anti spin measures I know of is to use a good quality small swivel between the main line and the hook link and this, in conjunction with a slower retrieve, is very effective.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Spot on Graham,

Use a tiny swivel or wind in slowly.

Strangley enough I have caught few fish in my life with a maggot hooked at the head end. However I once picked up an excellent tip from Peter Stone. If you are fishing the slow sinking maggot, hook it in the middle. Maggots don't sink head first!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I had the same problem yesterday which was resolved solved by retireving a little slower.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Can't say I've ever had any problems with this, any tangles seem to develop when casting, that may have been due to my poor spacing of shots though, which I'm happy to say has improved so few tangles now :0)

T

Terry D

I tend to use a micro swivel, especially on rivers. You also get a stronger knot tying to a metal swivel ring than you will mono to mono.

W

Wolfman Woody

Like they say above, it's impossible to eliminate completely but here's another thing
to try.

With the hook point going -
in the first maggot, in through the top out through the side and
in the second maggot, in through the side and out through the top.

This way the maggots lie evenly against each other and cause less spin.

James Hills

Reaction score
i always use red maggots, theyre my favrot bait. my biggest fish was off a maggot

Tony Hyland 2

Reaction score
thank you all for all your info on spinning bait.sorry i could not get back to you lot,could not log on ok now