*** MISSING PERSON ***

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope you canal anglers may be able to help with this.

A 47ft narrowboat HOLLY has not been returned from hire. The boat was hired from the 9th March to 23rd March from Middlewich Narrowboats by a man from Hertfordshire who was intending to sail single handed.

The boat was not returned, and he is now officialy listed as a missing person. A police helicopter has been searching for the boat, without success.

The gentleman who hired the boat is from the St. Albans area. He is listed as a missing person with Herfordshire police. His address has checked out with the address he left, and he paid by credit card. The police have traced his relatives and been in to his house, his mobile phone charger was at home, there was no evidence that he had been there since 9.3.07 (when he hired the boat). He also left a vehicle with the boatyard which is registered to the same address. It does not appear that he intentionally booked the boat with the idea of stealing it.

There are very serious concerns for his safety. The last sighting of the boat appears to be at Bridge 11 on the Stratford upon Avon heading for Hockley Heath.

Further details, and the full story can be found at http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8050

Contact numbers for any sightings:

Middlewich Narrowboats 01606 832460
trish@middlewichboats.co.uk during office hours Monday - Saturday

In the evening or on Sundays contact Cheshire Police on 01606 480000 Crime Ref. No. 421 dated 24.3.07

If you're out on the banks, please keep an eye out for this boat.

Cheers lads,

Janet

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Latest update from Mod on Canal forum:

I've just had a phone conversation with Trish at Middlewich Narrowboats. Trish would like to pass on her thanks to all who have responded so far, as would I. Thanks to your help by reporting possible sightings, a possible route has been identified but this is by no means confirmed. The sightings are all within the first week or so, and suggest that intially the hirer was seen heading towards Chester. He told staff that he did have the intention of travelling up the Llangollen Canal. However, on 18th March there was a fairly certain sighting of Nb Holly and the hirer at Market Drayton. There is then the unconfirmed sighting of the boat heading from Wolverhampton towards Birmingham, another unconfirmed sighting at Hockley Heath on the Stratford Canal, and then again at Braunston on the Grand Union Canal. The dates for these sightings are very general, however based on the information received, this is the most logical route but this is not confirmed.

On speaking to Trish, it would appear the Police are doing all that they can to try and located the boat, but it is obviously a difficult search to co-ordinate as most canals meander through a large number of force areas and there is no evidence to point where he might be or might be heading.. His phone has been turned off since the first week rendering a live cell site trace useless at this time.

What is of great concern is that there have been no sightings on Nb Holly or her hirer since the 20th March. While Trish is grateful of any information received, she would particularly like to hear from anyone who may have seen Nb Holly or her hirer since the 20th March.. As there have been no sightings, it would appear to suggest that the boat is not moving, or has been disguised in some manner. Clearly there is still concern for the welfare of the hirer as the circumstances of the disapperance are by no means typcial of someone who is trying to steal the boat. His family are aware and also have not heard anything from him. All local boat yards have been informed, but if you pass boat yards it can't hurt to pass the message on.

A description of the hirer is a white male, early 50s, 6ft tall with grey receding hair and slim build. He had a cycle with him onboard the boat.

Again, if you have any information, please contact Middlewich Narrowboats on 01606 832460.

If you're out on the canals over the Easter weekend, please keep your eyes open for this boat.

Cheers guys, and Happy Easter

T

The Monk

It must be very worrying for his family, I do hope everything is alright, its a shame they dont put trackers on narrow boats

T

The Monk

I expect you`ve probably done this already but there are a lot of NB sites out there, many with members who live on the canals, I expect they even have special canal sections within the forums?

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
This first came to light on one of the canal forums I'm a member of, but I thought there'd be a good chance of anglers being out and about this weekend, and they may spot something.

We had a case last year when a narrowboat was stolen, and they attempted to respray it, but that was found in the end. This case is slightly different, in that the hirer has done absolutely nothing to cover his tracks, and has paid by a genuine credit card, and even left his car at the boatyard.

It's getting increasingly worrying as time goes by, so the more people are aware of it, the better.

Maybe members could put the contact numbers in their mobiles, just in case they spot something? Any lead is better than nothing.

Middlewich Narrowboats 01606 832460
trish@middlewichboats.co.uk during office hours Monday - Saturday

In the evening or on Sundays contact Cheshire Police on 01606 480000 Crime Ref. No. 421 dated 24.3.07

Let's hope that there's a good outcome to this.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Janet, i don't know if this has anything to do with that barge but my other half saw a barge today, on the back of a lorry on the M6 south bound. I asked what colour it was, and he said blue???

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Holly is green (or she was when she was last seen!) Sounds as though he may just have seen a new boat being delivered. I see a lot of them round here from a boat company in Liverpool. Very envious I am too!

Still, it may be worth reporting that sighting, just in case. Any leads would be good, as this boat seems to have just vanished without trace and both the hire company and the family are extremely worried.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I'd be worried to death too if it was any of my family!

I was telling him about it and he just mentioned that to me. I think it's very strange how this has just gone!

Steve Holland

Reaction score
Most days I walk the canal at Mkt.Drayton, I'll definitely be keeping an eye out just in case the boat/hirer is coming back through. Being the easter hols, the canal is quite busy at the moment! I'll ask around the boaters if I can.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Latest update, from Middlewich Narrowboats, the owners of the missing narrowboat Holly.

"Hi

I can confirm that the boat has been spotted on the Hatton Flight on 29 March. A gentleman has sent us a picture which our Manager and engineers have confirmed is Holly, now painted blue, the cratch covers and cratch boards have been removed and so the boat does look totally different. I have sent a picture to Jon and hopefully he will get this up as soon as possible. The gent. on the boat said that he was heading to Oxford doing up the boat and selling it. If anyone wants a copy of the picture, please pm me and I will send one to you.

Trish"

Keep your eyes open guys. This guy has had us all worried, thinking he may have had an accident. Now it seems like he's just a common thief, and has tried to disguise the boat and do a runner. I'll post a picture when I get one.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

A Twoccer - who would have thought it.

The police will be getting a special pursuit narrow boat next.It will make a change from all those helicopter chases on the TV.

Mithrandir

Reaction score
I read on the teletext last night that an arrest had been made, so we can stand down from looking at barges and concentrate on the rod tips.

S

Scott Whatmore

Glad he's been caught! Thieving soanso

What will happen to him now?

Will he be forced to walk the plank?

Morespiders

Reaction score
Not a lot, people only get 6 months for manslaughter, so if hes very unlucky, he may get probation

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I had booked a weeks holiday in France with this guys boating company ,Mirage Holidays will I get my money back.He should have put it on the back of a wagon no one would have noticed at the ports....