Lures ... how big is too big???

bigsean

Reaction score
i'm getting a new lure rod with a casting weight guide of up to 150 grams, so i've been looking at bigger lures, and came across the savage gear alien eel at 30cm
most of wot i've been looking at has been 15-20cm .... so is 30cm too big? especially if i'm fishing somewhere with a lot of small jacks, will this help or hurt my chances of catching?

terry m

Reaction score
30 cms is a pretty big lure, but not too big for many circumstances as ahs been proven by the large Buldawg type lures.

Personally I would use a 30 cms mackerel or herrings without thinking twice, but repeatedly casting a lure of that size would take some stamina and may be telling on the tackle, regardless of the rating.

I would prefer to opt for something a tiny bit smaller, few if any of my lures exceed 24-25 cms.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have caught 8oz perch on 4inch spoons and jack pike on large lures meant for saltwater gamefish, just don't go silly!!

mark

bigsean

Reaction score
cheers guys, i've caught a couple of little jacks on lures as big as themselves, and i have seen ppl catch on very big lures, and some ppl swear by them,
my biggest lure at the moment is 16cm, so its a fair jump to 20+ or even 30cm,

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
According to this clip - Catch A Fish on Vimeo - real men use Rapalas and are quite put off their food by those who don't.

PS - It's been my experience that, whilst they might flatter our eyes, big lures often intimidate fish; the number of big fish of a number of species I have had on small lures from water that had just been declared "fishless" after being well-worked-over with "big mouthful for a big fish" type lures...

keora

Reaction score
There's no mention in the above posts of the damage caused by using large lures with two or even three large trebles attached.

bigsean

Reaction score
There's no mention in the above posts of the damage caused by using large lures with two or even three large trebles attached.
well seeing as i've never fished with a really big lure, i cant comment ... i will however say 3 trebles is too many, no matter how big the lure, in my opinion that is
2 is plenty and i have some shad lures with only 1 treble, and spinnerbaits with a single hook
i do agree that some treble hooks on larger lures do seem a bit oversized, and i have asked questions in the past about replacing these with smaller sizes .... as usual i got mixed answers, so as with most things it seems to be personal choice

greeny1321

Reaction score
The hooks are large on larger lures for a reason Sean! They need to be wider than the lure or they aren't effective!

bigsean

Reaction score
The hooks are large on larger lures for a reason Sean! They need to be wider than the lure or they aren't effective!

makes sense greeny ... do the wire/metal the hook is made from need to be so thick though?
some of em look like ships anchors lol

terry m

Reaction score
Whilst those hooks do look enormous, the mouth of a large pike is cavernous.

The point about hook size being in proportion with lure width is correct, fit small trebles and your hook up ratio will drop dramatically.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
"savage gear alien eel at 30cm"

Got three of them, great lures. Get a big pink one if they still do them, because all big girls love pink!

(I'm talking about pike! :))

PS: You can always change the hooks for thinner wired hooks, smaller hooks or remove one altogether if there are too many. It's your lure once you've bought it.

greeny1321

Reaction score
makes sense greeny ... do the wire/metal the hook is made from need to be so thick though?
some of em look like ships anchors lol

I'm guessing by an anchor you are refering to the front treble on the alien eel? If so just remove it, they tend to get englufed anyway so there isn't really a need for two in my opinion.

Also as was mentioned a big pike has a mighty big mouth mate, that 17 I had last week could have probably fit my daughter in its mouth!

critter-pike-mouth.jpg

not my picture but illustrates my point!

bigsean

Reaction score
i was referring to the trebles on a lot of bigger lures greeny ... just out of interest, why remove the front treble and not the back one?
and if u had a large lure with 3 trebles and wanted to remove one ... which one would it be?

greeny1321

Reaction score
i was referring to the trebles on a lot of bigger lures greeny ... just out of interest, why remove the front treble and not the back one?
and if u had a large lure with 3 trebles and wanted to remove one ... which one would it be?

On the alien eels I'd remove the front one (if it bothered me) since the back one is not only smaller but the more likely of the two to hook up.

I don't like the 3 hook arrangement on the bigger size of savage gear butch, I take out the middle one!

bigsean

Reaction score
i would've thought to take the tail one off ... i know a few ppl saying pike follow the alien eel and engulf it from behind, but i've a lot of ppl say pike follow and then come in from the side ... therefore making the front and middle trebles the ones to keep!!!
i keep getting answers that lead to more questions lol :rolleyes:
love it though ... its all a learning curve eh :D

mscustomlures

Reaction score
In my experience jacks tend to hit sideways on clamping the lure across its mouth but tge bigger fish tend to just engulf lures

10" of lure
b15f581b-021a-4ae9-8766-f8d4db62158e.jpg

On my rapala subwalks that I tend to get plenty of Jack's on I knock the barbs off the tail hook.

Back on subject no lures too big, big lures = big fish but thats not to say a 1" grub won't catch a 30+ just bigger lures are more selective.

8" spro bbz's are great just a shame they don't do a 10 or 12“ model, I'm going to build some 12"+ swimbaits when I get chance

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Big lures will catch both large and small pike, of that there is no doubt. It's also not in doubt that most waters will contain more smaller pike than large ones. Which is why choosing the right water is vital if you hope to contact the bigger specimens.
Having said all that, I do passionately believe that the larger lures over time, will prove to be more effective. OK, so what do we classify as large. Speaking personally, I regard any lure between ''8 to 10 inches'' as''large'' but, that may be as a direct result of experiments carried out over the years by myself and friends, before arriving at that optimum figure.
The next step was to determine at those sizes what was the minimum number of hooks needed, and where to place them. Bearing in mind that I have made most of my own lures for over 30 years.
The result of all this is that for many years now I have never felt the need to employ more than two trebles, even on my largest lures of 10 inches. One at the midway point, and one at the tail, in the appropiate size for the lure of course.
That's my two pennorth, for what it's worth.

bigsean

Reaction score
Derek ur input is always welcome and worth it ... As is everyone else's who takes the time and thought to comment,
A point proven on the topic of hook placement or removal :)

bigsean

Reaction score
Tis certain that using large lures will increase your chance of hooking up with the bigger girls!
would the opposite happen though? i.e large lures will catch smaller pike, but are you lessening ur chances if ur using big lures and there are mostly small pike in the area?