TASTIEST TROUT IN HERTS & ESSEX?

Jeff

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to trout fishing, having only been twice.

I am also a keen cook, which brings me to my question. Of all the waters in Essex and Herts, which waters do you feel have fish of good eating quality, i.e. not muddy!!!

I have had one great eating experience with a fish I caught in North Wales while visiting my parents. But from the one Essex water I have so far fished I have had nothing but a horrible muddy in-edible fish...

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff

Reaction score
Cheers Mark,

I guessed the fish there would make good eating, being that it's such a vast open water.

But honestly, it's the sheer size of this water that has me some-what intimidated to fish there, being a novice.

Is it a hard water to fish? It's only that after 20 years of coarse fishing I have always found it best to learn on smaller venues before progressing to giant waters... Does the same apply to fly fishing, or in this case Hanningfield???

I'd love to get out on a boat there, but wouldn't know where to start!

Jeff

M

MarkTheSpark

I take your point; big waters can be a bit daunting. The main reason is that novice anglers think that if they've paid to fish all of it, they should fish all of it, and move around too much.

If you want to give it a go, do what I did to conquer Rutland. Talk to the bailiffs as much as possible before you start. Get them to show you the cathcing flies, and the easiest place to fish. Go there, and don't move more than 50 yards all day; fish diligently and change lines, leaders, and everything but the recommended flies. Then you'll catch.
I also believe that the novice courses there are second to none. Go here for detail

Jeff

Reaction score
Just the info' Cheers Mark!

I'd of course make you right with sticking to an area that has recently, or is, producing.

I'd be doing that with my coarse fishing, i.e. find the fish with watercraft etc and endeavour to persue them WHERE THEY ARE... Oh, that makes me feel so much less a complete novice ;0)

Thanks again,
Jeff

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

That is good advice Mark.

Hanningfield is a top class ressie which grows on rainbows in excess of double figures at times. I've had some great times on this water fishing both Northants and over-the-front styles.

The depth you fish at is extremely important on these big waters. Try a medium to slow sinking line and count down your line before retrieving. When you reach the depth where you get a fish, fish at that depth.

Fishing from an anchored boat can get you lots of fish, but you will need to learn to cast a long way with this technique. A shooting head is the answer here.