Trigger Fish

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
Do these make for good eating?

Also is it too early in the year for them?

I'll be fishing the Adelaide at Chesil.

F

Fred Bonney

I read the other day,they do make good eating,and are becoming regular visitors.
My guess is,their journey north, is awaiting warmer waters.

F

Fred Bonney

I read the other day,Guardian I think,they do make good eating,and are becoming regular visitors.
My guess is,their journey north, is awaiting slightly warmer waters.

David Craine

Reaction score
Triggers are a delicacy in Madeira...but then the Portuguese will eat anything with fins.

:)@)

P

pete the levelspiker(pac)

they are also a good sporting fish.
although increasing in numbers,are not that common yet.
my suggestion?return them alive so that someone else may enjoy the capture too!

R

Richard Drayson

David, there won't be any triggers there yet.They're a warm water fish and the sea is too cold for them now. The best time of year to target them is the end of Aug onwards when the water is at it's warmest.
You'll need to punch the bait out a fair way to reach them though as the wreck is 120 yds+ from the beach. Use 30lb clear Amnesia for your hook snoods and ragworm tipped with squid as bait. Yes, I suppose you could eat them but personally, I'd return them as Pete suggested.

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys. No trigger fish have been reported yet this year. I decided to fish at Abotsbury in the end. Daytime was pretty poor with the odd Mackeral caught on feather but night time was very productive with 10 dogs and a small cod. The beach was very crowded in the day.