Which knot?

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Hi guys, tonight i have put some new line on my reel ready to go fly fishing at weekend. which knot do you recommend to tie your leader onto it?

I made a loop on the white line, then did a grinner knot to tie the leader but it looks to bulky. I have then been on the fields near me practising my casting, (excellent way to learn if anyone is thinking of trying it).

Is there any other knot you can suggest for me?

G

Ged

Try loop to loop. Not a dance.
Easy to change leader as well.
Tie a simple overhand knot to form the loop at the end of the leader. Pass the leader loop through the loop on the fly line then pass the tip of the leader through the loop on the leader. Try to keep the loop reasonably small on the ends of the leader as I think it helps with finesse and better casting.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The easiest way is braided loops -- I've e-mailed you about them

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Ed thank you i have bookmarked that and shall be ordering some this weekend.

Can i aslo ask Shall i use wet or dry fly for the River?

Trisantona

Reaction score
Think the question should be dry fly or nymph,since a wet fly as such is merely a spent fly which probably would not sink,if fish are rising try dry fly,although the way in which they take a fly ,"sip" would be dry fly or "porpoising" (head and tail) would be nymph caught in surface film,othrwise use a nymph which could be weighted depending on depth and flow.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

There are several ways of attatching the leader to the fly line.

I normally put a braided loop on the front of my fly line and then a tie a figure-of-eight loop on my leader. Then I loop to loop the connection.

S

Shrek

That's the same method I use too for the front end.

Nice lines those Wendy, you'll not go tfar wrong with it.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I'm going to get some leaders from the tackle shop in the morning close to the river i am fishing. I'll let you know how i get on guys.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Wow, what an awesome experience that was yesterday. I went to the River Calder and fished there, it's not very deep so i was able to walk in the River wading, wow i loved it! I didn't catch anything, but the experience was indescribable!

Next week i'm going to try the Rive Tame!