Anglers corner.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
At a car boot sale this morning,i came across an old fishing video.
This tape contains four 15min episodes of an old series called "Anglers corner",which is narrated by and stars a youngish Bernard vennables.
The four episodes are entitled Bream,Tench,Roach,Chub and each one contains under water footage of the said species (to be honest i think the fish filmed are in aquariums of some description),a brief look at tackle used to catch them and then we see a guest type angler fishing for one.Bernard narrates to us about groundbaiting,habitat,feeding habits and behaviour etc....
When i sat there watching the video and was listening to Bernards commentary,i felt like i was being taken back to a time when fishing seemed like a real pleasure,more relaxing and less pressurised...not like the real hussle and bussle i think fishing has become today.
According to the notes on the video case,the programmes were made for bbc2 in 1968 and i`m guessing this was the first real programme for anglers??? and i presume there must have been more episodes,covering other species of fish???
The video case,cover and the tape it`self are in good condition...picture and sound quality are good.
I am guessing this must be a real collectors gem???
Have any of you folk out there got any memories of this series of programmes???

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I can just about remember them; only the barbel one with Leslie Brewer.

'Youngish' Venables! He'd have been about 60 at the time.

flumpy

Reaction score
nick if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for it at car-boot. interesting to see if it it worth something

C

Coops

Get it converted to DVD and flog a few copies to interested parties on here (copyright permitting of course, I'm sure its not going to bother the beeb now).

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I suppose when i think about it,Bernard must have been around 60 yrs of age.My only experience of seeing him,was on the passion for angling series and the odd picture in the angling press....I must say he looked almost aristocratic in this series and his commentary seemed spot on...he really knew his onions as it were.
This has got me thinking...it would have been really interesting to have sat and watched and listened to vennables and walker debating fishing etc....
Did the two of them ever get together and chew the cud???
As for what i paid for the tape,well it was the princely sum of 50p.To the seller,it was just another video tape but i knew it was something special.
I have thought about getting it transferred onto dvd and selling the tape.If i knew i wasn`t going to get into any trouble i would get dvd copies done and sell them,there would be a market for them.

Y

yoggy

Nick,sounds a cracking buy matey,bring em along to Bainton and I`ll have a look.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Ref the first programme on tv for anglers....i`m sure i have read somewhere that Jack hargreaves did an angling series for tv before out of town and before anglers corner??? Also i believe himself and bernard worked together and were the best of chums???
One other thing,did Bernard write for the early doctor who series,or is it a different Bernard nenables???

Simon,it`s one tape with four 15 min episodes on it.If we have a spare hour before or after bainton then we can have a cup of tea and sit and watch it ok????

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Just done some research and found out that the anglers corner series of programmes was originally released on video in 1979 on vhs and betamax formats(pre certification).
There were two tapes one containing bream,tench,roach and chub (the one i have) and the other featured salmon,grayling,trout(dry fly) and trout(wet fly).
Anglers corner has never been released on dvd.