Daily Mail story about EA squads tackling Poles fishing illegally.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Anyone seen Todays Daily Mail? They ran a full page story after a journalist accompanied three EA bailiffs trying to stop Poles fishing rivers and taking their catch for the table.
For the Mail it was fairly factual and for once not anti anglers in any way.
Only one thing I would rather they had not hightlighted ; that some unscrupulous fishery owners will pay ?10,000 for big stolen fish. That should interest the low lifes and encourage a few to take up poaching...

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Re: your last paragraph Peter.
It's no secret mate and has been happening for years.

A lot of carpers photograph their catches, and they have pics of fish from being caught at 10lb through to the upper twenties of the same fish.
So it could be argued that many carp anglers have photographic evidence of certain fish that have been stolen from a certain water and put elsewhere.

The problem would be to prove that certain fish have been stolen and put into another water with the owners consent.

Reaction score
I'm not a biologist (although I have an O Level in it - that dates me...real exams that meant something!!!) BUT wouldn't it be possible to devise some sort of tag/implant in line with the sort of thing pooch and moggy owners (posh or paranoid) put in their pets?

I would think this would particularly useful for associations like yours Baz which quite rightly informs its members when fish of a significant size have been stocked in club waters.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

What you suggest, I suppose is possible paul, but how many clubs put it into practice? Even so, it still would not be easy to recover the stolen fish. First of all it would have to be proven that it has not picked any disease up from the water it was moved to. And to test a fish for disease they have to kill it.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
BAZ, the fishing fraternity has known about the value of stolen Carp for many years, what was referring to was the wider publicity of that 'value' in a National newspaper.
With those sorts of prices for big fish it may attract the interest of non anglers-basically thugs- who could attack someone at a fishery and take the fish.
After all, it's more valuable than the tackle that caught it, or the anglers car etc, so there are low lifes' out there who might be attracted to a new form of easy robbery.
If someone threatened you with a knife or gun and asked you to hand over the 35 lbs carp you had just caught would you fight them?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Does the E.A. have waters or anywhere for periods of quarantine? I think it's doubtfull.
Now and again we hear about the E.A. confiscating fish from people who have been caught ilegally moving fish, and the fish have to be destroyed.