CCTV

Reaction score
So...we've arrived, and yes...sure enough, a significant section of the populace is 'all for it'. Not only is there a camera for every 12 people in this country, we're now getting audio-cameras that bark instructions...and, incredibly, there's very little protest! I'd have thought this was reason for a huge backlash, but no...we seem to accept it. Those who argue that surveillance is necessary to curb the antics of hooligans and other criminals have lost the plot entirely. If governments genuinely, sincerely, REALLY wanted to create a stable, safe, contented society, we'd beef-up the system we already have in place. If a house-breaker knew - for sure - he was going to break concrete for 10 whole years...HE WOULDN'T BREAK INTO HOUSES! If a knife-carrier KNEW - for sure - that this offence carried a minimum 5 years on a chain-gang...HE WOULDN'T CARRY A KNIFE! Rather than eradicate the problems, our governments have allowed them to continue in order to justify greater control of the population. I can't think of a better explanation. Can you?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"If a house-breaker knew - for sure - he was going to break concrete for 10 whole years...HE WOULDN'T BREAK INTO HOUSES! If a knife-carrier KNEW - for sure - that this offence carried a minimum 5 years on a chain-gang...HE WOULDN'T CARRY A KNIFE!"

Not necessarily true.....
First of all they have to be caught house breaking or carrying a knife.(which is highly UNLIKELY given the state the police forces are in)
And secondly in the housebreakers/knifecarriers mind they reckon they WON'T get caught(which is highly LIKELY given the state the police forces are in)

M

MarkTheSpark

Talk about your nanny state - who'd have thought George Orwell would be elevated to the status of prophet? Like everyone else, I don't want CCTV, I want policing. Why should everyone be spied on to catch the criminals? What about our right to a bit of privacy?

And I echo Ed's comments that stiffer sentences would have no effect whatever on crime. The USA has the death penalty for murder, and the highest murder rate. What's more, the rate's higher in states where they DO have the death penalty.

The basic mindset of criminals is that they do what they do on the assumption that they won't get caught, thus the sentence has no meaning. So if we end that assumption by catching them, we might prevent crime.

Reaction score
Mark. I repeat: if CARRYING a knife automatically attracted a 5 year sentence on a rock-breaking chain-gang, the murder-rate would plummet! If you ain't got one on you, you can't use it! At the root of our problems, I believe, is our politicians' inability to recognize that crime should be nipped in the bud at an early age...have you ever arrived at your favourite swim on a beautiful morning and found it strewn with a weekend's camping detritus? This isn't petty crime! If we took this sort of thing seriously and cracked down hard, youngsters would grow-up in the knowledge that so-called 'worse' crimes would definitely not be tolerated! (I can't remember the last time saw a 'No Litter' sign in a town-centre) If you regularly saw Public Information films on TV warning of the consequences of house-breaking - 10 years down a quarry - how many would STILL consider nicking their neighbours hi-fi? Relatively few, I believe. But no...the powers that be allow it to continue - 'justifying' the use of cameras.

M

MarkTheSpark

This isn't petty crime! If we took this sort of thing seriously and cracked down hard, youngsters would grow-up in the knowledge that so-called 'worse' crimes would definitely not be tolerated

I agree totally, Cliff. But cracking down means catching the little blighters. I'm more than happy to grab yoof by the neck and let them know I give a damn when I see them misbehaving, but most people just walk past, even when it's something serious, like an assault.

alan

Reaction score
Cliff, you had better lock me up now.

i carry a knife in my pocket every day, some times 2/3 knives at a time. i use it for work, infact with out a knife i wouldnt be able to do part of my job.

a knife is not a weapon, and it can not kill, maim, injure, or threaten any body. only the idiot holding it can.

same as a bankstick really, its a tool, used to do its job it is harmless, smack someone around the head with it, stab them with the pointy bit and it will kill/maim.

suppose we had better ban them as well.

infact just about everything we use could be used to kill, lets ban everything and lock every body up.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

CCTV; They are already installed on the Angel Of The North fishery in the North East. Anglers can't even scratch their k***kers without the fear of being spotted.

S

Scott Whatmore

I have no objection to cameras or the loud speaker systems being fitted to some of them. I do object to the need to consider having something like this in the first place...

'I'm more than happy to grab yoof by the neck and let them know I give a damn when I see them misbehaving, but most people just walk past, even when it's something serious, like an assault.'

Most people wouldn't walk past if they thought for one minute that their actions would do any good and wouldn't land them in court with a criminal record for their efforts. Or worse still, a good beating or a knife in the belly for your trouble!

Tut Tut, what a sad state we live in.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Cameras already installed at the Angel of the North fishery-what a vision of fishing hell...
Imagine the new CCTV/loudspeakers combo's being employed as you sit in contemplative mood.
"Oi, peg 23, you are feeding too much groundbait or pellets other than the Fisheries own brand".

J

Jeff Spiller

Cliff I agree with you, sod the camera's let's see some police walking about on the street's and when people are caught let's see some proper punishment, not a holiday on mine and your money.
Speaking cctv.
1984, when do we get the monitor's in our home's.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Peter, That already does happen, and I'm not joking.
The laughable thing is, the fishery is owned by an ex anti-angler.

They have a no floating bait rule, but allow 'fly fishing' for carp with the hook tipped with sugar puffs.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
I've read about her John. Suspect she thinks that to control and watch anglers allows her to ensure none of us indulge in aspects of the sport she may view as distasteful.
What is they say. when you have someones balls in your hand, their hearts and mind follow...

C

Cakey

one local lake has cctv all round it for about 4 years now......mmmmmm I wonder who fitted it

Reaction score
Fisheries with CCTV must be boycotted - full stop. The biggest of the carp in a water near me are fitted with tracking devices! It beggars belief, doesn''t it? I am astonished that the general public haven't risen-up in protest at this surveillance revolution...it's horrendous. I shall continue to do my little bit by sticking two fingers up at every camera I see. I am a MAN...not a number!(Patrick McGoohan, The Prisoner)

Rob Hale

Reaction score
I can see why people would want to have CCTV monitoring a fishery - not the water, but the car-park. It gives security and thefts and vandalism are less likely to happen.

As for fish-tagging (note: Tagging, not "Tracking") - this is hardley Orwellian - it is the same technology used to ID your pets if lost, and means that if a fish theft occurs, they can be easilly and instantly identified.

T

trev matthews

Id feel a lot safer fishing a venue that had CCTV cameras. That way if the anti angling hoodies came round and had a go they could use the footage in court to convict me of being nasty and saying hurtfull things whilst being attacked by several idiots at the same time.