Somewhere Down the Kaveri River ? Part 1

M

MarkTheSpark

Absolutely superb, ****y. I'm quite excited about reading part two!

Reaction score
Evocative tale ****y. I, too, wait in anticipation for the next instalment. And I won't reveal the cleverly disguised Edgeley Park Reservoirs as the location. ;-)(Although those elephants were a dead give-away)

nicky

Reaction score
evocative you can say that again, it sounds like a trip of a lifetime that makes life worth all the bother.

Reaction score
Hey Posh Paul, no venue naming! 'A mahseer water in the Manchester area' would have done ;-)

It certainly was the trip of a lifetime. Although I have been travelling to India for ten years now I had never fished inland, and really thought that nothing could shock or faze me about the place, but living in the jungle with mahseer to chase was paradise.

I have many people to thank (especially Steve, Bops and Jim for making it so much fun) but from FM I would like to especially single out Budgie Burgess who despite having never met me, was prepared to risk lending me his catfish gear despite the obvious dangers associated with motorbikes, Indian roads and six foot pieces of carbon.

For all fellow FM'ers thinking about making the journey... just do it! Although wild tigers will not wrestle the venue details from me, please do PM myself or contact Bops through IndianAngler if you need any advice on a future trip.

J

Jeff Spiller

Part one ended far to quickly, just as I was getting into being in India and the elephants it end's !
More please ****y, really well written, you took me their with you for a minute.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Great read ****ie.

I spent 2 weeks in the north in 05. Just the one 17lb fish over that period. We mainly concentrated on lures, that was the method recomended by our guide.

I'm not convinced Mahseer are predatory though. I suspect that may take lures out of annoyance, or perhaps to protect their territory. It was notable that only 4-5 inch lures produced the fish, bigger patterns failed completely.

We spent 1 week fishing the Ganges. This was a torrent, no need to worry about concealing yourself.

The second week was on a smaller tributary, a clear, sedate water. These fish were extremely spooky. If they detected you they were off, and wouldn't return all day. More spooky than our own Chub!!

I'm going out to India for 6 months shortly, I may well make some time for the river of the south.

Looking forward to part 2!

Lungi-Jim

Reaction score
Cheers To You ****ie!!!

Great read, really captured the trip - Although i'm not sure the pic of me in a Lungi was for public viewing!!!! Still, spose you owe me for the ol' Upton upon Seven 'Dafney Fisk' incident!!!!

I agree with Ric Elwin - lures of this size do work well. But - like with any fish and as we found - go against the norm, try your own thing, go with your guts sometimes. With our trip, we had randomly packed two lures of the same build and depth, with colours that just felt right. The choices were against convention; but did they catch!!!

Also the way you fish - ****ies right we did thrash the water for a day. Can you imagine doing that with Chub?!!! Richard Foster's advice was 'just see them like big barbel' and that's how we began to suceed; stalking, fish-sense, and other Barbel/carp inovations and twists.

Jim

Reaction score
Ric,

If you have an idea of where you are heading I may well be able to help with good places to stay/eat etc Let me know if you need any help.

I take your point about mahseer not being predatory but where we were fishing the killer tactic was to cast as close to the bank and overhanging jungle as possible, then rest the lure momentarily before beginning a slow retreive. The fish clearly hung out under the trees waiting for animals and insects to fall in.

Maybe not strictly predatory but certainly opportunistic scavengers for live food.

They also have a definite vegetarian streak and love fruit. During the mango season they cruise the margins and take whole fruit as they fall in to the water.

Jim ;-)

That'll be 1-1 then!!!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Cheers for that ****y.

It's a bit early for exact plans for the south yet. I'm going to spend at least 3 months in the Himalayas (to avoid the heat!). I'll fish up there, certainly for Trout, possibly Mahseer as well, although my gear won't be suitable for large ones.

I'll keep in touch though, and thanks again.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
****y,

It sounds awesome! I doubt I will ever go there, but your style of writing took me there for a brief moment. I will just have to settle for some of those Zeds instead ;-)

Really looking forward to part two, well done mate.

Lungi-Jim

Reaction score
Yes, they do have that 'Veg streak.'

I'll be working on the giant mango flavour boilies for the next trip ****y.

Also, I totally agree on the old CWT '(cast, wait and twitch) method of lure/plug fishing. Works best with a floating plug. The amount of times you see anglers cast and reel only - when the action your trying to gain is that of a dying fish.

Jim

Henry Gonsalves

Reaction score
Hi Richie,

remember me. I came there the day after that 17 lber was caught . I was with Alexis, and showed you a novel way of whipping on a hook. It was a 4/0. That afternoon Jim was cooking a veggi curry. Alexis and I will be there early March this year. Good luck and good fishing, Henry Gonsalves.

Reaction score
Hi Henry,

Great to hear from you. I'm not sure if it will pan out but there is a chance I'll be in Karnataka in March. If you enable the 'Email Me' function on your profile (Click on your name and have a look at the options), I'll drop you a line closer to the time.

Kind regards and tight lines,

Richard

Henry Gonsalves

Reaction score
Hi Richie,

thanks for a speedy reply. Met up with Steve Lockett in Oct. for a fishing session at Bitterwell Lake near Bristol.

Re your trip to India, we will be in Karnataka nearly the whole of March. Just changed our plans so if you are there during that time, then we know where to find you. All the best till then,

Henry.