What to put in your flask this winter.

dezza

Reaction score
There is no doubt that home made soups are far superior to anything you can get out of a can, even though Baxters make the best canned soups.

One of my favourites is French Onion Soup, made to a recipe given to me by my old business partner Jean-Claude Pile of Paris.

Here goes.

Slice up 4 large onions and two cloves of garlic. Sweat them until transparent in olive oil in a medium sized saucepan. Add about 1 litre of best beef stock, "Knorr Stock Pots" are also very good, you will require two of them. Top up with a litre of water.

Add a bouquet garni of bay leaf, thyme and parsley, sea salt to tast and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer until the onions are soft. It normally takes about 30 minutes.

Add a tablespoon full of Cognac Brandy and fill the flask. Consume with whole wheat bread and butter. Just the thing on a cold winter's day.

Let's have your recipes.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
One of my favourites is French Onion Soup, made to a recipe given to me by my old business partner Jean-Claude Pile of Paris.
And an improvement in serving is -

Pour into a wide brimmed cup/beaker (a big one) and add a load of fresh croutons to cover surface of it, top it off with a good serving of grated Cheddar cheese. Stick it under the grill until cheese goes a bit brown.

You really can't help trying to chisel off little bits of cheese from the cup afterwards. The only bad bit about this is - when it's finished, you want another!

EDIT: Of course you can't take this fishering with you, but nice for lunch. :)

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
How about just plain old Breakfast TEA !!

The bigger the Flask the better ?

Bob

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
How about just plain old Breakfast TEA !!

The bigger the Flask the better ?

Bob

Just as long as you remember to put the tea bags in. Mind, hot sweet milky water is at times better than nothing.

I once said I liked my wife's leak & potato soup, but you can get too much of a good thing. At times the freezer was half full of the stuff. Chicken broth is her current fad - still enjoying that.

3 OXO cubes (and boiling water) in a 1Ltr flask are good, especially if you have a large crusty loaf as bait, preferably two.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Home made veg soup

put carrots, celery, onions in a pan and heat till they soften, put in a blender and blast till a "paste" consistany , add a can of chopped tom, put in pan to boil with a little water season with salt asnd peppers, add herbs to taste, adjust tickness of soup to taste by adding water slowly and keep on heat

maceo

Reaction score
I left a cup of coffee I'd poured from my flask on the mud at the side today.

When I eventually got a moment to have a big swig of it, I didn't notice that a stray catapulted caster had fallen in. Yeuch. I don't know what the fish see in them.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Tea for me too, Earl Grey and boiling water fresh from a kettle - none of this flask stuff:wh
Jerry

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Tea for me too, Earl Grey and boiling water fresh from a kettle - none of this flask stuff:wh
Jerry

Earl Grey ? Might as well just drink the hot water.

I cannot be having with carting kettles around.I fill a proper flask with boiling water and take tea bags/milk. Not perfect...but certainly good enough. Gave up soup after a slug got in a cupful once. A proper bull slug too...quite extraordinarily unpleasant.

watatoad

Reaction score
Same drink spring, summer, autumn and winter, very strong black coffee.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
In the winter I take 3 flasks, one filled with freshly filtered coffee and the other, a 'food' flask, that contains a couple of sausages sliced into minestrone soup. I always seem to have sausages left over from breakfast and they make for a nice 'bite' in the soup.

The little hip flask usually has either JD or Armagnac; both being excellent companions to the coffee.

If the venue allows then I far prefer to use the Kelly Kettle and have freshly made beverages whenever possible though.

Last edited:

beerweasel

Reaction score
I take a flask of strong black filter coffee (boiled on the stove till piping hot).
I also take a hip flask of Aberlour A'bunadh. :w

akacrush

Reaction score
Strong black coffee for me and sometimes I may accidentally pack a hip flask of which ever single malt I'm currently enjoying.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't trust flasks, so a Kelly kettle and proper Assam tea(no tea bags) touch of skimmed milk, stainless steel teapot, oh yes and a strainer! No booze on the bank for me

A good excuse to get up off my arse and back to the car for exercise!

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

I'm beginning to sound like Ron :D

Reaction score
I would normally take either Minnestrone or Tomato Soup in my flask. Think of having a change this year though, maybe OXO or Hot Vimto with a splash of Brandy in it....

Ron, have you tried the Bulwarks soups from Lidl?? I used to always get Baxters but Bulwarks tops it! Try the Veg Soup...immense.