edgar sealey fishing tackle

BOB LLOYD

Reaction score
Hello lads does anybody know about Edgar Sealey fishing tackle only I have bought a 13ft fibre glass float rod in cloth rod case from a car boot sale very reasonable price and would like to know more about the company who made the rod (etc)I think the rod is about at least 30 years old the rod is in very good condition any info please Cheers Bob.

T

The Monk

they did do some great gear Bob, I had a few Sealey Blue match rods back in the early 70s

F

Fred Bonney

I've got a Black Arrow,13',nearer 40 years than 30,I would say.

I don't think they're in business, now.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
The very first rod i owned/dad brought me as a boy was a sealy one.White solid glass with blue whippings and a blue corrigated plastic type covering on the handle....cherished memories.

M

mark norris (ACA)

I bought an Edgar Sealey new float when I first started work as an apprentice in 1965. Split cane and cost 5 guineas( remember them?) It is still straight as an arrow and gets an airing about once every couple of years.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Gladding took over Edgar Sealey and Intrepid in the early seventies, and if memeory serves me right disappeared before the end of the seventies. I had a Black Arrow as my first 'proper' rod. Very light for the time but also very fragile,at least in the hands of a 14 year old!

What model did you buy, Bob?

BOB LLOYD

Reaction score
Hello Mark the rod is a 13ft fibre glass float rod light brown in colour cork handle black arrow sign on reel end unfortunately the main ring is missing but i will ask around about getting it replace . Its a very light rod well made it is feels good to hold its in its original cloth cover with the makers label on it Cheers Bob.

F

Fred Bonney

My first proper rod too,still got it in the garage,top eye missing!

Garry C

Reaction score
hello people!

ivbeen givena edgar sealey seafox sea rod! its 10 ft, 2 piece,white fibreglass with a red trim! looks the dogs. i am lookin at selling it on ? any buyers?

also i have a 2 piece 6 ft,daiwa rod, if anyone knows about them?

i dont come on here alot so if u email me at gazzc88@hotmail.co.uk.

if u want to buy or know more!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Sell it? I think you might have a long wait to find anyone on here that wants to BUY a 30 year old sea rod!

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
I think as I remember the Sealey blue match and the Milbro Enterprise were the dogs wot nots ofthe day to be overtaken by the ABU all england match and then that to be overtaken by the Shakespeare alphas (transparent orange glass and carbon composite) prior to carbon coming out.

The big thing about these rods were that they were amongst the first to ditch ugly metal ferrules.

The black arrow was the Littlewoods, Great Universal etc catalogue rod of the day and cheaper than the Blue Match. I seem to remember the Black Arrow had ferrules. I cant realy remember.

Brass wise Bob, I would be surprised if any of the aboveare worth a carrot mate. They are still seen around the occasional car boot.

Keith M

Reaction score
Ihada Milbro Enerprise many years ago, and I think Billy lane used to use one then. It didnt have metal ferules. The Shakespear Alpha came out afterthe celebrated Shakespeare'Match International' with its spliced tip which was an excellent match rod used by the England team and developed by Ken Giles and Clive Smith. I also had one of these. (memories)

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Shaky have turned out some great rods over the years, and are doing it again, what i can't work out is if it is by design or accident ? /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

J

John McLaren

My first "proper" fishing rod was an Edgar sealey Glastrike it had metal ferules but was a lovely rod in honey brown colour with blue whippings and a full cork handle with sliding reel grip rings. At 10ft it was probably pretty close to an Avon style rod andI was still using it occasionally up to about 6 years ago when some low-life stole it along with all the rest of my gear/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

I have now a fully functioning Black Arrow,picked up one on ebay that was in a bit of a state, and added the important bits to my oldun.(complete with brass ferrules)

All I want now is an old 300.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

i got 3 old 300s fred but you aint getting em.lol

F

Fred Bonney

Thanks Bob,up yours too!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Changed my mind to a 410 anyway.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I bought an 11ft Edgar Sealey rod when I first came out of the RN in 1962 a glass fibre one I remember and used it for a number of years, the blue match I think but can't really remember. I believe I am right in saying they were a Redditch based company and one of the oldest too, a lot of tackle makers and especially hook manufacturers were Redditch based back then and more modern names seem to have graduated to there as well in the past few years.