a good fleece

clive morton

Reaction score
right guys can anyone recomend a good fleece to wear under my big coat this winter not to impressed with whats for sale in tackle shops but open to suggestions.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Get yourself along to Decathlon or Go Outdoors and get two fleeces a base layer and a mid layer. These won't cost the earth and will be much more versatile than an angling specific fleece. The base layer should be close fitting and is designed to be worn next to the skin. These will wick away sweat and keep you nice and dry. The mid layer gives the insulation and can be a looser fit.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Some companies grade their fleeces, Polar 1, 2 and 3 being the thickest and warmest. You'd need a visit to Blacks or any other mountain and outdoors shop for the best.

Good thermal underwear (long sleeved vests and long johns) is an absolute must also. Again Blacks or Millets for Peter Storm stuff is usually good, but the better ones are costly.

(I suppose some do call them 'base layers', fancy name prob same stuff eh?)

Oh and another good tip, wear some salopettes that comes right up your back. Keep the chill of there.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Good advice there. Of all the very many combinations/items of gear I've tried over the years to keep warm the best without any doubt have been a good baselayer top [mine's Helly Hansen] and salopettes [ESP]...oh and a neck tube.Brilliant.

Of all the many fleeces I own the warmest is a lined full zip hoody by ESP. I've no doubt there are better fleeces around but this one is reasonably priced and it works. Watch the sizing...these are generously cut.

I dont wear an outer coat anymore. I've got my layering sorted & either two fleeces or fleece and a soft shell outer teamed with salopettes works for me. Any colder than that and I stay indoors.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Of all the many fleeces I own the warmest is a lined full zip hoody by ESP. I've no doubt there are better fleeces around but this one is reasonably priced and it works. Watch the sizing...these are generously cut.
I'll second that.
Jerry

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Get yourself along to Decathlon or Go Outdoors and get two fleeces a base layer and a mid layer. These won't cost the earth and will be much more versatile than an angling specific fleece. The base layer should be close fitting and is designed to be worn next to the skin. These will wick away sweat and keep you nice and dry. The mid layer gives the insulation and can be a looser fit.

I got some craghopper fleeces from go outdoors, on offer for a tenner a peice three years back and even though i've never had them of my back they're still in great nick. They're a really tight fleece and virtually wind proof. I put on a t shirt one of these fleeces and then a slightly looser one over the top and unless it rains I don't need a coat most days.

watatoad

Reaction score
Helly Hansen, mountain equipment, peter storm

multiple layers is the trick I have a mate who dresses like this

womens tights

thermal 'T' shirt and long johns

string vest

another thermal 'T' shirt

a lumberjack style pure cotton shirt

ex-military trousers heavyweight

fleece

thermal winter suit I think its a Daiwa

agamemnon

Reaction score
dont go for the multi layer fleece but get a hiking fleece with windproof/water proof inner to it. ive had my keela fleece for years it cost me £80 but its the best money i think ive spent on clothing. i dont over heat like you do with some large bulky fleece's and a lot of the time i dont even bother with my big winter coat when fishing.
also go for a norwegian fleece army shirt they are great for keeping you warm especially at night in your bivvy

clint4782

Reaction score
I've got some Jack Pyke English Oak clothing on trial at the moment; first thoughts were that it appeared a little on the thin side, but having worn it out a few times now whilst fishing, the inner fleece and outer hunter jacket can be worn separately and provide good warmth on the coldest days.....it's got some good features too, but I'll tell you more about (if you are interested!) it when I've used it a few more times. Impressed so far!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
To be honest I find most angling clothing over priced - you can get the same quality gear cheaper but out and angling company name on it and the price goes up by 50%

but I have a pair of Nash combat trouser for fishing and they are spot on

watatoad

Reaction score
That's an old one, tried it a long time ago. Nice and sensual - Ooooooh! Bit difficult when you want a pee so I gave up on them.

Still wear the panties though, but that's more a comfort thing....

:D:D:D

Tights just made me feel stupid well more stupid and they made me sweat and itch...hehehe

Generally for me personally I wear an extra thick pullover sometimes a body warmer and if its blowing hard or raining a jacket I bought in an Edinburgh wool shop about 20 years ago. Sometimes I wear a fleece but I find them very very warm to wear.

Sure I have a some good fishing winter suits a Wynchwood Solace Trakker,
A Sundridge Slik Mk2 and a Daiwa Mission in 'CAMO' well I think it is a mission it might be an Infinity but yes it is CAMO

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you want to buy quality fleece jackets always go to a proper outdoor shop (not millets or yeoman's army store) and buy the best you can afford. You will find that most of the fleece jackets sold as fishing gear are a bit over priced for what they are, and remember that unless it say's the jacket is wind proof (gore windstopper, etc) it will not be. Also NO fleece is waterproof so you need a waterproof jacket as well even the more expensive ''softshell'' garments are not fully waterproof!
I tend now to just wear a buffalo shirt on its own ( they are meant to be worn next to the skin for them to work properly!) they consist of a pertex outer with a special pile liner, they are not waterproof but they aren't meant to be, they let water in but the pile keeps it moving away from the skin, they are 100% windproof and they are very, very warm (you could not wear one in the pub as you would just sweat to death!) the forces and emergency services swear by them they are that good...AND they are made in Sheffield!!!

mark

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I bought a Koma all-in-one suit about 10/11 years ago, I think Colin Davidson had something to do with them. Brilliant suit and I still like it now but for the fact that it appears to have shrunk drastically around the waist especially. It's a nice non-russle soft material, waterproof (or was), and very, very warm to wear.
jeff-woodhouse-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture2969-koma-suit.jpg

Think I'll just have to do some weight, or let the back out.

clive morton

Reaction score
thanks guys some good info there certainly something to chew over tommorow while im waiting for the pike to show up.