What livebait ?

smithdave

Reaction score
My favourite is a small rainbow, but this is getting a bit too expensive.
So I've started using small barbel, which I buy from my local garden centre for a quarter of the price and they are fantastic, not as many takes as the rainbows, but they last for ages and hardly ever stop struggling, if suspended 2 feet from the bottom.
Has anyone else used them ?

beerweasel

Reaction score
I usually catch my own at the venue I intend to fish.
This is because the E.A frown upon the movement of live fish.
I would have thought Goldfish were the best considering their visibility
but remember the damage Koi herpes can do. :w

barbelboi

Reaction score
Taken from the A.T. live baiting policy
"Transfer of live baits between waters carries many risks and may upset the ecological balance and damage the fishery through the spread of either unsuitable fish species, or harmful diseases and parasites.

In England and Wales, written consent is required from the Environment Agency before you introduce fish into any inland water and it will be an offence to be in possession of live fish between waters without consent".
Jerry

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Gudgeon, caught from the water you are fishing ?

Great baits, work forever :w

Bob

greeny1321

Reaction score
Small eels? don't take your eyes off your rods mate, you're gonna get a one toner anytime now! :wh:D:eek:

agamemnon

Reaction score
in my younger days i have never used goldfish. i have never had multi catches in a session on goldfish and ive never put goldfish with lip piercings into my friends pond :)
in cannals i find gudgeon to be an excellent bait as they always seems to be doing their best to get of a hook
nowadays im happy to use any fish i can catch in my whip and in some cases i have used small pike and had some good results with them

terry m

Reaction score
Roach or skimmers for me, but have used gudgeon on occasions too.

Would like to try small pike, 6oz or smaller, but how would you catch them to start with?

bigsean

Reaction score
Roach or skimmers for me, but have used gudgeon on occasions too.

Would like to try small pike, 6oz or smaller, but how would you catch them to start with?

i caught a 5oz pike recently .... dunno how, but it saved a blank :D

smithdave

Reaction score
The garden centre by me used to sell small barbel on Ebay, which was great, because delivery was included. I won't mention which centre, because of the overprotective anglers that fish for this easy species.
I'd like to mention, that I only fish rivers, so the ones, who are quoting EA rules can relax.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
The garden centre by me used to sell small barbel on Ebay, which was great, because delivery was included. I won't mention which centre, because of the overprotective anglers that fish for this easy species.
I'd like to mention, that I only fish rivers, so the ones, who are quoting EA rules can relax.
:D tin hat on ready:eek:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
They're here!!!!
Barbel+police.jpg

gazguildford

Reaction score

no dig but i think you should read the EA rules a little more carefully :eek:mg:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/101279.aspx

Baits and live baits
The use of live baits and crayfish

It is an offence to use crayfish (alive or dead) as a bait at any time.

Fish taken for use as live bait may only be used on the water from which they have been taken.

may be of some help

Last edited:

smithdave

Reaction score
The EA !
What do the EA know or care about fish or fishing ?
Have you seen any of the rivers they've "helped"
What I do has less effect on the river than what happens naturally. The only point that should raise an eyebrow to anyone that knows anything about the subject is the possibility of introducing barbel into a river that shouldn't contain them, but the EA beat me to that, with quite an impact on its natives.
As for crayfish, who's lack of attention to breeding stocks is responsible for that little problem !
Zebra mussels....... I'll stop now