Tring Reservoirs

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
I am about to start pike fishing again in earnest, one of my old haunts was Tring - never did better than 22lb in four seasons (including nights!) Is it worth thrashing the water to a foam again?

D

David Will

In recent years Wilstone had a huge head of Rudd.As a result some big fish have appeared.If you ring The Old Town Angling Centre Hemel Hempstead (directory of Enqs for number or search this site)they may well be able to assist.When I fished Startops for Pike I found that regular moves around the res produced more fish than sitting it out. I.e. an hour or two then move starting on the wheel and moving anti clockwise ending up by the road at the shallow corner. Long range deads were all I used as lives produced mainly smaller fish.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
David - thanks for your reply. In the past we have had most success on Marsworth, halfway along the shared bank (opposite Royal Box swim) Although there appears to be no difference in bottom contour, the bream also roll in that area in the summer -approx 40 yds out. In addition had a number of unstoppable runs leading to dropped baits - catfish?. Find it strange that a water that can produce specimen sized bream, roach and tench fails to produce a 30lb pike. Having said that, jack pike are an exceedingly rare site - predation from big brothers/sisters in preference to anything else, perhaps. In addition any form of hotspot developing results in the pike just melting away. Any futher comments wouldbe appreciated.