Grayling Fishing - Between Times

Skoda

Reaction score
Another sparkling article Sean, as ever I’m transported to the riverbank. I think your opinions on floats are spot on; I haven’t done any trotting for years but in shallow, clear water I tended to use a home-made, short, flat-topped balsa. Flat topped because I was never satisfied with my non-symmetrical shaping. I haven’t got any Drennan Loafers, are they tapered balsa’s?

I’m not sure I’m with you on splitting the swims up into short sections; a ten metre swim should be fishable from one spot. Or do you mean you split them mentally, treating each section with a different cast, but from the same spot?

Whereabouts were you, upper Wharfe?

Andy

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice read but to be honest I don't agree with several things amongst that article.

red creel

Reaction score
Nice article Sean but would not like to be limited to just a loafer for trotting for clued up Roach and Chub.By that i mean i have always found Grayling if present in the swim fairly easy to catch and tolerant of less than subtle tackle and less than perfect presentation.For Roach Chub and Dace i would not want to be without sticks and wagglers.Concur with your views on close face reels though as nice as it is to use a "pin" i have no hestitation in reaching for my old ABUs if the need arise's.

In fact my PB grayling was caught using a waggler on a ABU 506...yes i know its shameful!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Good article again Sean. All of my grayling fishing is on the southern chalkstreams and mostly on venues that don't get too much pressure. Picking the right spot (and I agree totally about short trotting) and feeding properly will soon get them going. Normally there's enough room and swims available to fish and rest, fish and rest.

One day I will get up your way and have a look at those spate rivers!

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments folks. I'll admit to being a little provocative, but only a little!

Andy, the river is the Calder "above Brighouse" and Loafers are clear plastic "balsas".

George, you make beautiful floats and I'm a Philistine!

On the subject of clued-up chub, all the chub caught by Mick and most of the chub caught by me in that article were caught on loafers. If I need to present a small bait delicately on a smooth flowing river of course I'd use a stick float (and I say this in the article), but in many conditions and on many rivers, using a heavier float gives much better presentation.

Grayling are often quite happy to move around in the water to take a bait, but when they aren't in a taking mood or if they are bigger, clued-up fish then you will need to get the presentation spot on. This means working out where the fish are and then putting a bait right on their nose. This is where short trotting comes in, enabling you to get the presentation just right at just the right spot.

Neil, let me know when you can make the trip oop North and I'll organise a day or two!

Last edited:

walney1956

Reaction score
I tend to fish similar rivers to Sean, the Wharfe and the Nidd and carry just six floats in my waistcoat pocket, 2 one swan Drennan loafers, 2 two swan loafers and the 2 two and a half swan loafers which does for nearly all my float fishing especially grayling which at the moment appear to be in the pacy water but even in the cold weather when the fish are in the deeper slower water they do the job for me.

However I use lower breaking strain line being Drennan Floatfish in 2lb 6oz with Kamasan B511 to 1lb 12oz. This can handle the odd chub that comes along if handled carefully especially in more open water

If I was fishing stretches of the lower Nidd with plenty of dace I would add a couple of stick floats to the same set up.

Matthew White

Reaction score
As ever a good article Sean with plenty to think about. I will have to take a few worms the next time I go grayling fishing. I followed your advice in your last article about cutting right back on the loose feed and it has improved my catch rate.

George387

Reaction score
George, you make beautiful floats and I'm a Philistine!

As I say Sean everyone to their own, I personally prefer my porcupine quilled Balsa's I made to suit myself I wouldn't knock anyone for what type of float they use everyone to their own, there are some floats better suited than others.

As ever a good article Sean with plenty to think about. I will have to take a few worms the next time I go grayling fishing. I followed your advice in your last article about cutting right back on the loose feed and it has improved my catch rate.

Matt, You still in the Club? If so give me a shout & we can organise a day on the river together

Last edited:

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Nice article Sean.

The last time I did any grayling fishing was with big (5/6/7 ssg) bodied wagglers on the Tweed from the English bank at Coldstream :eek:

All taken on a crease between the main flow and the BIG Monument pool close to the Scottish bank. Virtually non stop fish 'till the pub and Drybroughs Light beckoned. Afterwards became a little erratic.

I used to swim in the Calder in my youth, well once and only to get out after falling in. I had a 'south med' tint for days afterwards and always had an aversion to the river after the stomach pump.

broomy

Reaction score
As always Sean I find myself agreeing with everything in the article. My only slight variation is to place a small size 24 swivel between the Clarke 0.14mm mainline and short (10 to 12") 0.12mm Clarke hooklength tied to a debarbed 18 Kamasan B520. The swivel helps stop the hooklength twisting when fishing double maggot.
I use a Drennan floatmaster at 13' coupled with either a Greys Bewick centerpin or the old Abu 506 (I prevent line going under the spool by small pieces of 10lb nylon held in place with Araldite placed at 1 cm intervals around the top/bottom of the reel spool and protruding out about 0.2mm). My elbow would not be able to hold a heavy old cane rod at all these days. The Drennan and centerpin is so incredibly light I actually notice a weight increase when switching to the 506.
Was out on the Tees above Gainford 24/11/2011 for 20 Greyling, best 16" / 12 trout and a large migratory fish that stayed on for a considerable time before snaping the hooklength.
Was planing to go out over the weekend and today but the winds far to strong for any pleasure.
Keep the information comming Sean I learn somthing form every one.