River Ure Salmon Project

sam vimes

Reaction score
JI just hope that the anglers/clubs now fishing the river have very very deep pockets.

John,
there are mutterings that there's been the odd attempted price hike on the back of rumours of runs of sea trout and salmon on Yorkshire Ouse system rivers already. Interesting times ahead if we do start getting strong salmon or sea trout runs. Yorkshire river fishing will change vastly from how I've known it in my lifetime.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Sam, I'm sure with the EA proclaiming that the Wear is now the best sea trout river, and 2nd best salmon river (after the Tyne) in the country will have done the local clubs no end of favours.

There was a piece on local TV recently where a place on a Tweed salmon syndicate was being offered at £250K for one rod/day/week, and some beets on the Tyne are not far behind.
Watch out, it will be coming to a river near you!

I'm sure the Ure will become an excellent salmon river :( Talking to some of the locals in Ripon a few weeks back its not bad now.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Frightening isn't it? I'm sure Leeds AA have already lost a lovely stretch of river because of this.

Having said that you should see the numbers of salmon jumping on the tidal Trent now-a-days. I can just imagine the ghillies fighting over peg 1A at Collingham!

George387

Reaction score
There has been a few lovely fish been caught & returned at middleham but the local clubs are holding their breath's as more & more fish are coming in, some of the smaller clubs wont be able to afford the increase in costs, which will be a great shame.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Next on the agenda will be banning fishing above and below the weirs as applies to many in the Northumbria area of the EA NE and Yorkshire Region.

'Fishing near Obstructions: Fishing within a distance of 25 metres upstream and 95 metres downstream of the following structures prohibited'

Although it seems that canoeists and kayakers can frolic about within these areas with impunity.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Having said that you should see the numbers of salmon jumping on the tidal Trent now-a-days. I can just imagine the ghillies fighting over peg 1A at Collingham!

I can't see that happening. They'll just rock up in a boat and fish mid river where no one can stop them, just like the odd coarse angler does now.

caferacer

Reaction score
There is one big advantage with having the hallowed adipose in your river,if you are sick of apathy by the EA when you ring about east europeans taking chub/roach simply ring in a report of poaching on a salmon river,dont mention coarse species,they will drop everything.When I see bream/roach being stuffed into bags on the Shannon I simply ring the IFI and report poaching on a salmon river,they are down in double quick time.

acldaniel

Reaction score
latest on the river ure as far as truth can be is that in masham area it is stuffed sick with salmon parr grayling stocks have been oblitterated and local clubs have been told from 2015 they cant stock any breeding trout so they can stock trout that grow and dont breed so they will eat fish eggs like they are going out of season agenys have bought up some river banks bolton castle charge a fortune for salmon tickets and idiots keep pouring smolts into the river that has allways had salmon in so they can feed the rich and to hell with the ecoligy of the river its only a matter of time and they wont be a wild fish left in the fishing will be man made go and look at the river ure forum om face book they are working for the landlords its plain to see also fiqures of fish be bulled up dont stack up with club returns adaniel1223@hotmail.com