Scanners & Printers Help Needed

J K

Reaction score
I am not a photography expert but I am reasonably computer literate. I have inherited all of my late fathers photographs, a lot of which will be of personal interest or of historical interest. They are mainly on 35mm slides or 35mm film negatives together with some old photographs in black and white with no negatives.

I would like to be able to scan these onto my computer and be able to print them and maybe tidy up old marks etc.

Could you reccommend any suitable scanners and printers (preferably with separate ink cartridges) for this purpose. Thanks in anticipation.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I'm in the process of something similar. Old photos of kids, hols and fishing.

The modern scanners are really very good and with some simple software you can achieve excellent results.

You can now get an "All In One" printer/photocopier/scanner for around ?60.

Examples

I have an Epson Stylus DX4200 which is excellent. The scanning software that came with it is very straight forward and produces good quality digital copies.

I also use Paint Shop Pro to clean up the images but many free/cheaper such programs can do the basic jobs.

I had some slides which were converted to digital format by my local camera shop. I assume similar could be done with 35mm film negatives as well.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Go for a scanner with as high a resolution as you can afford. Slide scanners on flatbed scanners are not as good as the dedicated article but will do.

A alternative would be to pass them to a shop who will scan and save to a cd for you. Not sure on the pricing of this option these days

G

Ged

I have a HP Scanjet 5470. Comes with a negative/slide adapter and software for scanning. Excellant, coupled with an Epson Stylus Photo R 340 printer which has 6 seperate ink cartridges. My daughetr uses them more than me. She is going on to do a degree in photography in September.
For software to touch up photos, Adobe, Jasc paint shop pro, Ulead, Coral etc are all good.

J K

Reaction score
Thanks all I really appreciate the help.