Fishing and cycling

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I'm sure many of us used to strap a rod to the crossbar years ago, sling a bag over our shoulder, and cycle to our favourite fishery. I did myself, 7 or 8 miles each way was as far as I'd go.

Now I'm in Poland, no car or motorbike, I've regressed some 35 years and once again taken to the saddle. It's 15 miles each way to the big lake (and another 40 if I want to cycle round it:). I'd have shuddered at the thought of this a few years ago but the reality is; I quite enjoy it. OK it takes an hour each way, but I wouldn't baulk at that length of time to a fishery at home, in the car. I guess it's another challenge, as I'm not the fittest person in the world, but I'm getting closer!

Anyone else still do this?

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I'm sure many of us used to strap a rod to the crossbar years ago, sling a bag over our shoulder, and cycle to our favourite fishery. I did myself, 7 or 8 miles each way was as far as I'd go.

Now I'm in Poland, no car or motorbike, I've regressed some 35 years and once again taken to the saddle. It's 15 miles each way to the big lake (and another 40 if I want to cycle round it:). I'd have shuddered at the thought of this a few years ago but the reality is; I quite enjoy it. OK it takes an hour each way, but I wouldn't baulk at that length of time to a fishery at home, in the car. I guess it's another challenge, as I'm not the fittest person in the world, but I'm getting closer!

Anyone else still do this?

Not really, no.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I used to cycle to almost all my fishing destinations as a kid from age 11-18, I didn't think twice about it. Occasionally, I get whimsical ideas of doing the same again but it's not happened yet, I doubt it ever will. The prospect of getting fit as a by-product of fishing rather than a means to an end in itself would be a great motivator that I could certainly do with. The thought of cutting the gear back to the bear minimum holds no fears as I still do that now from time to time. However, the prospect of some of the fearful soakings I got back then doesn't exactly fill me with joy though.;):eek::D

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
To be honest, yes i used to cycle or take train/with cycle up to the age of about 22 or so. Like Sam its something i doubt i will do again - i dont have a bike for a start. It is good to try and keep fit though and whether it would be an option would depend on how near the fishing is.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Used to cycle to local waters in the Colne valley until I got a motorbike at the age of 14. Yes, I know, but it didn't matter in those days:eek:
Jerry
PS I have never ridden a bike since and, as most people involved in car accidents say they never saw the other vehicle what chance have you got on a bike:eek:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Reminds me of the Barbus Nazis who publicly debated about (and sternly frowned upon) my choice of bus, bike and footing it for miles through the same valley - but then the cretins did want to know, to a yard, where I was fishing...

xenon

Reaction score
certainly did as a kid-complete with wicker basket bungeed onto a rack on the back wheel (what the hell was i thinking of?) Never again I suspect.

dezza

Reaction score
When I was a youngster I used to cycle to all my fishing places, as did some of angling's most famous people. The beauty of using a bike is that you got to places where other people with cars had to walk. A a result I found many places off the beaten track.

I often wish I was young and fit again.

The Sogster

Reaction score
I don't cycle, but don't drive (personal choice), I have always therefore walked to my chosen destination or relied on a car owning fishing pal.
I am quite lucky in the fact that I can walk to most areas of the local rivers I fish in around 40 to 50 minutes and the canal in 10.

terry m

Reaction score
Wow, this thread takes me back to my teenage years cycling with all the kit, even night fishing on occasions.

Then graduated to motorcycles, still challenging from a safety perspective, but much less effort required. Happy with the car these days!!

watatoad

Reaction score
I used to but my body would not cope these days, although if I lived in my local town I would give it a go.

The one thing about fishing on a bicycle is you never take more tackle than you need and I'll bet that even reduces as the years creep past...hehehe

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't run a car because I try to be as green as possible (I just share my girlfriends, and I can walk to work in ten mins) and I have used many means of transport to get to my fishing including bus, bike, train and shank's pony, and although I have had some funny looks while on public transport I have been able to get to places you cannot get to with a car...and not have to worry about where you have left it parked!
One of the best things I have ever done was to catch a train along the river Trent, getting off at different stops throughout the day, great fun!

mark

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I don't run a car because I try to be as green as possible (I just share my girlfriends, and I can walk to work in ten mins) and I have used many means of transport to get to my fishing including bus, bike, train and shank's pony, and although I have had some funny looks while on public transport I have been able to get to places you cannot get to with a car...and not have to worry about where you have left it parked!
One of the best things I have ever done was to catch a train along the river Trent, getting off at different stops throughout the day, great fun!

mark

Thats sounds pretty cool.

I don't drive either , my son takes me if we go a long way , but seven miles to a very good local fishery and a wealth of canals.

For those who cycle what do you do about chairs , i'm not a small bloke and i have been through quite a lot of those cheap tripod chairs , nearly lost my thumbs once when one collapsed on me. Last time i strapped a full on korum chair to my back , which was great while i was there but coming back was a pain. And thats the thing with cycling , all well and good on the way there but coming back i long to be sitting in the passenger seat of my son's car , eating his sandwiches and dozing off.

Philip

Reaction score
There is most definatly a place for cycling with the modern angler. Cars will always be the first mode of transport but what about taking a bike with you and cycling to far off swims ? Not always as mad as it first appears...after all some anglers seem quite happy to push a wheel borrow round a lake. You can even negotiate the odd style with a bike ...just pick it up and lift it over. Long walks done in minutes and the bike takes the load not you.

Using a Bike has opened up a whole new world of angling oppitunities for me.

Philip

Reaction score
Using a car did the same for me..........................some 45 years ago;)
Jerry

I am sure it did Jerry but cars cant get down some of those inviting lanes with a barrier across them....and who nowadays wants to hike a mile or three to get to a swim...;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I am sure it did Jerry but cars cant get down some of those inviting lanes with a barrier across them....and who nowadays wants to hike a mile or three to get to a swim...;)

I'd rather hike a few miles than not get anywhere near.;)

Philip

Reaction score
Doesnt that depend on the water and the swim your going to ?

If you dont even want to consider a bike as a potential way of getting to a swim then far be it from me to try and convince you !

Enjoy the hike! :D