Aquarium of the Lakes

M

MarkTheSpark

Has anyone else on this forum been to the Aquarium of the Lakes on Windermere? I did on Friday, and immediately regretted paying them the money.

By a rough reckoning, 10 percent of the fish were diseased. It was truly sad to see these animals suffering, and I have written to the EA to see if they are concerned - I don't know whether thse aquaria use lake water or discharge any into the lake, but if they do it's disastrous.
Letter follows:
I was a visitor to the Aquarium of the Lakes in Newby Bridge, on Lake Windermere, last Friday.
While I think this may not be of direct interest to the EA, I feel I should report that a great many of the fish at this aquarium were suffering from a variety of diseases, including spinal deformity reminiscent of Whirling Disease, fin rot, cysts, excessive blue slime, deformed mouths and damaged gills, and one unfortunate cod which was completely covered in a red fungal infection. It was clear that no attempt was being made at isolating and quarantining these fish, and my fear is that the aquarium draws water and returns it to Windermere, thus acting as a reservoir for disease. As many of the fish at the aquarium are imported, this may have significant risk for the wild fish population.
As I say, this may not be a direct responsibility of the Agency but I would be grateful if you could raise this issue with relevant organisations. The sheer number of diseased fish and the distress they were suffering was really quite upsetting

Matty C

Reaction score
Good job Mark.. Ive not been myself, but Id be suprised if youre the only angler ever to have gone there and seen the fish. Atleast youve done what you can. Its up to the EA or the relevent bodies to take it further.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Mark
Did you mention it at the time to the staff/management at 'Aquarium of the Lakes'

M

MarkTheSpark

I didn't Ed, but because my first thoughts were 'this is a badly-run aquarium' without really thinking more deeply. I had two kids to get back to the car - you know how it is.

But it sunk in pretty quickly afterwards. I even considered writing to the RSPCA. I lost count of the number of half-blind fish I saw with white eyes. One of the Arctic char was absolutely grotesque - terrible spinal deformity and shortened and twisted jaw which are precisely the hallmarks of whirling disease.

I'm following my letter up with a call today to the EA. I think the Freshwater Biological Association is also nearby.

T

The Monk

The FBA is at Far Sayer, not too far away, yes the did the right thing Mark

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I have visited it in the past, last time was about 4 years ago. The fish were all in excellent condition then. Looks like they have been letting things slip. I wonder if it's got new owners just milking it for the cash.

Link to there site if anybody whises to complain direct.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Well done Mark. You are absoluteley right to make your opinions known. I am planning a visit to the lake district in the near future but that is one attraction i shall give a miss.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

It sounds like one of those cheap side shows from the 60's that were rife along the Welsh coast in a corrugated tin shack. The place needs closing down.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Mark,

Unless I am very much mistaken, from the start of this month new regulations came in covering the keeping of pets including aquaria; you must neither under nor over feed them etc.

The RSPCA will advise, I'm sure.

Graham Quinn

Reaction score
i went last year the blind pike were sickening,and what was small enough for them to eat.