Laws on lead shot etc

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Probably one for Windy here:

I have been told several different versions of what the 'no-lead' laws are regarding shot etc. Even some of our better-known anglers seem to be a little confused about it when I ask them about it.

e.g. Is it illegal to sell lead shot in the UK? Or just illegal to use it? Or vice-versa? Above what size/weight?

Where can I see the actual wording of the various legislations regarding lead shot in angling? Is it online anywhere?

mol

Reaction score
Probably one for Windy here:

I have been told several different versions of what the 'no-lead' laws are regarding shot etc. Even some of our better-known anglers seem to be a little confused about it when I ask them about it.

e.g. Is it illegal to sell lead shot in the UK? Or just illegal to use it? Or vice-versa? Above what size/weight?

Where can I see the actual wording of the various legislations regarding lead shot in angling? Is it online anywhere?

You can use lead below a size 8 shot and above an oz.

Can't help you with the rest.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You can SELL lead shot in this country, a point that really gets up Dinsmores' boss' nose. Why? Because he makes tin shot, tin costs £20,000 per tonne (I think he said) whereas lead only costs £1000 per tonne.

Loads of this being sold - and I do believe it is lead

Use can use 8 and smaller in lead. Size 6 up to 28grams (1 oz) must NOT be lead.

FROM EA WEBSITE -
Lead weights for fishing

Byelaw relating to use of lead weights by anglers
No fishing weights made of lead may be used except those of 0.06 grams or less and those of more than 28.35 grams.
In angling terms this means that lead shot from size 14 to size 8 and lead weights of over 1 ounce can be used in fishing.
While lead dust shot (size 8 and smaller) are legal, they are toxic to birds if ingested. Use spillproof containers for lead dust shot and always dispose of used lead safely at home.

Of course the law is a LOB. When shooter can bang away at birds and spread the stuff over rivers, lakes and ponds. Well the law says "In England the lead shot regulations ban the use of lead shot over all foreshore, over specified SSSIs, and for the shooting of all ducks and geese, coot and moorhen – wherever they occur." (q. from BASC), but you can still shoot other birds close to rivers and lakes.

Last edited:

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Plenty of lead shot available here in Poland. 80 pence for a 6-compartment dispenser. Anyone want any bringing back? :))

richiekelly

Reaction score
i have about 5lbs of bb lead shot in my garage along with other sizes in dispensers, they were purchased by a freind when a tackle shop closed down, i see no reason why i shouldnt use them while shooters are using lead.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
But two wrongs don't make a right do they?

I've also got loads of lead but....................All I know is that I take my used line home and remove all shot-lead or otherwise-and reuse it, but then I'm extremely tight!!

If only we could trust people to take care with it we wouldn't be in this pickle would we.....................

watatoad

Reaction score
O.K., O.K. Come on you computer whizzes lets get a one of those Government polls going there are a couple of million of us if there is a bright spark out there who could post a sensible wording remembering to mention cost savings and increased UK production and employment and maybe we can at least get them to discuss it. We are voters and they may even think if they go along with this we will shut up about getting out of the failed European Union.

Plus lead shot is legal in other European Countries which should be mentioned.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
My view is that it's a silly law and as such, if you want to use lead, just do it. Carefully of course.

---------- Post added at 00:58 ---------- Previous post was at 00:53 ----------

And while I think on, anyone on here use jigs? I do, usually light ones, around 1/8 of an ounce. Lead of course. Illegal I guess, unless there's a special provision within the law for jigheads; which I doubt.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
WHO would check -
Exatly!

Let's face it, even the police can't police the people using hand-held mobile phones in their cars and that's pretty obvious. Who has ever asked you to 'show your shot'? I had a club warden (refuse to call them bailiffs, to grandiose and incorrect anyway) asking me to reel in so he can inspect my hook for being barbless and I simply refused, politely of course. No one has ever asked to see my shot, either on the line or in it's box.

My belief was that the poisoning of swans in the early 80s was due more to the river craft with petrol engines, which were more popular then and spewed out lead in their bits of discharges that floated on the surface and then people threw bread into that toxic mess. True, swans were found with spilt shot in them, but also with shooting shot (with poisonous antimony) and no one could prove what had killed the birds.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
My belief was that the poisoning of swans in the early 80s was due more to the river craft with petrol engines, which were more popular then and spewed out lead in their bits of discharges that floated on the surface and then people threw bread into that toxic mess. True, swans were found with spilt shot in them, but also with shooting shot (with poisonous antimony) and no one could prove what had killed the birds.
_

I used to live opposite Dot Beeston who started the Egham Swan sanctuary. SHe knew I was a keen angler so invited me intot=her back garden once where she had about 50 ill swans. I put forward those ideas Jeff and she pulled out a folder full of Xrays. They nearly all showed the same thing, lead balls lodged in the crop of the birds which had poisoned it. They were all the same size so I assume they were from shotguns and told her so. There were other xrays with obvious angling equipment (trebles/line) damaging birds and I think these influenced the birders thinking.

scottt

Reaction score
[/COLOR]And while I think on, anyone on here use jigs? I do, usually light ones, around 1/8 of an ounce. Lead of course. Illegal I guess, unless there's a special provision within the law for jigheads; which I doubt.

I'm fairly sure lead heads are legal, providing they are firmly attached to something, much like the weights on feeders, there still lead and there sold everywhere.