Smallest barbel you've ever caught?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
What did it weigh or did you not bother weighing it?

Mine was about 1lbs or just under. Strange how I never seem to catch anything smaller.

jeff-woodhouse-albums-strange-things-seen-whilst-fishing-picture2969-koma-suit.jpg

sam vimes

Reaction score
The first barbel I ever caught, over twenty five years ago, was from the Swale on very light trotting gear intended for winkling out bits. It was around two to three ounces and I initially thought it was a fairly pastey gudgeon. I'd love to say that it initiated a life long passion for the species, but it didn't.;):D I was rather chuffed to have caught it though.:)

pellethead15

Reaction score
I fish the Dane its a lovely little river that snakes through the republic.I have heard of barbel being caught to double figures which is amazing considering the size of it.my one and only Barbel came after catching a few nice chub under a tree down croxton way.it was all of ten inches long.
i will never forget that little, big fish <(((><

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've had quite a few between 4 to 6 inches long over the years. I was wading amongst lots of very small...2 inches long barbel during the summer months.

beerweasel

Reaction score
It is the same with Pike I've never had one smaller than a pound, what do baby Pike feed on ?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have caught some 3" barbel that the EA stocked into the Colne last year, amazing how they rattle a tip round at that size.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

Reaction score
it's a picture of a tiny barbel in my hand which was posted last year by Shine on a thread called What is this? but as usual anything photo or link related never seems to work in my hands?

peter crabtree

Reaction score
well done Sam, why can't I do that? is it because I am using an iPhone ?
or did I make a mistake ?
Anyway that's a baby barbel I caught last year on my local Colne .

cheef87

Reaction score
smallest around 6oz but ive had dozens of 1lb ers from the severn would love to catch a real baby though

jerry gleeson

Reaction score
i,ve had a couple in the 4-6in bracket on double 8mm pellet as well, stunning little fish, gave a reasonable bite as well.
cheers
jerry

chris63

Reaction score
I once had a session on the River Mole where I was fishing maggot into a weir sill - I must have had over 30 barbel between 1 and 3 inches. They were going mad for maggots until 3 Carp of around 7-10lb came along and started attacking and eating the barbel.
It was an amazing sight and I must have watched the Carp doing this for about 2 hours!!
This was over 20 years ago before the Mole was known for Barbel!!