Fisherman saved from drowning in mud trap

I

Ian Cloke

A MAN who sank neck deep in mud yesterday would have drowned if a passer-by hadn't heard his desperate screams.

The fisherman initially got his legs stuck in the mud at Fareham Creek, but as he struggled to get free, he sank in further.

Soon the mud was up to his neck and all the terrified man could do was scream for help ? while all the time the incoming tide edged closer to him.

Luckily a member of the public heard his shouts and dialled 999.

Coastguards rushed to the scene and raced against time to free the 38-year-old Portchester man, who has not been named.

For one-and-a-half hours a team of five coastguards used winches and a stretcher-like device to dredge the man up from the thick mud.

They wore special wide footwear to walk on the soft mud so they didn't sink as well.

A coastguard spokesman said that if the rescue had taken much longer, the tide would have covered his head.

Geoff Matthews, coastguard watch
officer, said: 'We had about three hours to get him out, but had anything gone wrong it's amazing how that sort of time gap can disappear.

'People sink in sloppy mud, and anything they do to try and get out and struggle will just pull them deeper.

'The tide would have covered him over if we hadn't heard about this.

'I think it's fortunate that someone spotted him in good time.'

The fisherman, who was dressed in a light blue T-shirt and jeans, became stuck underneath the pylons near Cams Hill Golf Course, just before 5pm.

After he had been dragged from the mud, an ambulance crew checked him over to make sure he was not suffering from hypothermia.

He was then taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, for a further check-up.

The man, who has a history of medical problems, was very cold and wet, but was conscious and his condition is not thought to be life-threatening.

Deanos

Reaction score
I watch lots of films with birds with big hooters wrestling in mud, its never done them any harm, and I enjoy the action I can tell you!

alan

Reaction score
the gut is an idiot. no other words describe him.

the area they are talking about is a mudflat, even the bait diggers avoid it as it is to soft. at low tide there is no water there and if you walk out it can come in behind you cutting you off.

any one in the area who calls themselves an angler avoids that sort of terain.

if he was bait digging there are much better areas nearby.

massive

Reaction score
One such 17 year old in the Derwent this weekend was'nt so lucky decided to go swimming on the hottest day of the year and current got him. very sad.

The rivers are dangerous you can't see whats beneath the surface if there are any kids reading this use your local swimming pool.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I had a similar experience in a slurry pit on a local slag heap when I was a kid.Not very nice.It is OK saying do not struggle but difficult when you feel yourself sinking.