Starting Carping Part 8 ? Self-take Photos

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Has anyone got any more tips on self-take pictures? There must be lots of little ideas some of you have had over the years that make this job easier.

W

Wolfman Woody

Some good points Dave. An important tip is to SMILE! Look as if youre pleased to catch the fish (hint-hint Dave!)

This tip comes from Ray Walton (him of big barbel fame and excellent photographer to boot). As Dave says, don't hold the fish out, instead hold the fish as close to your body as possible.

This is because it will then be on the same plain as your own mush. With the focusing of the camera, both the fish and mush will be dead in focus.

If you want to be seen looking at the fish, don't then look directly because your head will be at too much of an angle. Instead look down a few feet in front of you. On the picture it will look as if you are looking at the fish.

Note to Ray Walton - sorry mate, but you should be here to post these brilliant tips yourself. :eek:)

F

Frothey

more importantly, dont forget to take it off your head, as you'll look a bit of a tit!

K

Ken

You can be forgiven for looking such a tit, mate, simply because of the gurt big common...

Nick: Any more info on the Enterprise thingie? Can't see anything on their site.

W

Wolfman Woody

S'truth Frothey, you do look a bit rough in that shot. Luckily the fish looks in far better condition.

Jack Snapper

Reaction score
I really wish people would stop doing this sort of thing, there are really no excuses for it these days. Even with a cable release or infra red remote, what is there to stop a big carp flapping off the mat and knocking itself to bits on the gravel, while you're faffing around with a camera on your own?

Self timers are a complete waste of time imho, as Dave's 'juggling shot' clearly shows and you really shouldn't be standing up holding a fish of any size of any species. If you drop one from any sort of height, this may kill it!

Get yourself a few contacts who you trust with a camera. With most people having moblie phones these days, someone will usually come and take some photos, if it's a special fish to you. Otherwise, just lay it on your mat, and photo it against something for scale (see my Avatar for example), or just put it back. You can always try and catch it again and 'Trophy Shots' are really just an ego thing imho.

Cheers, Jack

Clive Moore 2

Reaction score
self takes are what i have to do almost always. i manage with a timer /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif, but i have little problems and am used to it, with the fish being out of the water for as short a time as i can manage.

as for a good photo i try to make sure there is no tackle or gear in the shot, and i have a backround such as foliage.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Gardner tackle do a great camera adaptor, it has a ball joint so you can adjust your camera, cost £9.99. Take a look at www.Gardnertackle.com. even have a video of how to use it.

But by now you may well have one, as this thread is two years old.

DZ

Reaction score
If you have an SLR with time lapse (a eg. D300) then you can pre set it to take, for example, 30 photos over 60 seconds, once you compress the shutter button. Just pic the best one.