Polaris Floats

S

Shrek

Has anyone ever used/still use these at all? If so, what do you reckon to them. Worthwhile, or just a gimmick?

Was wondering whether to get one and try it but would like some comments before I do.

Thanks

D

Dave Lindsay

hi adrian i use polaris all the time when im pike fishing lakes and find them to be very usefull as an extra bite indication i also use the long thin ones for fishing distance on lakes and slow rivers and have never had any problem with them at all.

altough you cant use them with braid they are great with the lines i use for pike fishing (14lb infinity duo) although they tend to rise slowly in deep water. but using them with lines up to 5-6lb in the summer coarse fishing they do rise very quickly and they do work and are not a gimmick very good on the visual also.. give em a try

S

sam oddy

I would agree with Dave although I prefer Dave Thomas' Loc Slide versions - similar but different stopping mechanism - as my eyesight's not up to staring at the very thin tops of the polaris. Excellent for tench etc as you are basically fishing lift float style.

T

Tony O'dell

Are the Polaris Floats, and the Loc-Slides the only ones of there ilk being made...i seem to remember another manufacturer making them as well...any suggestions?

P

Phil Heaton

I've used Polaris floats for 3 years or so now and think they are really good, in fact I bought another this lunch-time (No.1 straight waggler).
For close range the canal type are very good with a really fine stepped down stem, for distance the straight or bodied wagglers are better, due to them being thicker and easier to see.
Don't be put off by the thickness of the heavier floats as they are a lot more sensitive than you would expect, especially wound down with 10mm or so showing in calm conditions.
I usually fish straight through the float with the smallest drilled bullet required to sink the float, then a rubber drennan float stop, then a tail as long as required on the day(I start at 8"). A feeder can be used instead of a bomb / bullet, but it must be sufficient to sink the float empty. This is because too light a weight allows the float to drag the bait along the bottom with undertow / wind.
I have found that when reeling in with a fish and the float gets to the rod tip the line easily comes through the float, a mate of mine uses the loc slide floats and has had problems as the line will not easily pass through with a heavy fish.

D

Dave O'L

Used them and been very happy when used in the right circumstances.

Great for roving around & if you want to look at a float. Guaranteed to be where you want it without re-pluming.

Quick accurate way to get an idea of the depths of a swim.

I also gave 1 to a friend to try as he lived near deep water I had been fishing. When I next saw him was really enthusiastic. He said it was just the right thing, when fixed, for fishing a prawn for Salmon (very successfully) in a spate????