hand lotion help

massive

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good hand lotion with antiseptic qualities that i can chuck in my tackle box that will help in the prevention of catching weirs desease and clean my hands in the process i've heard ASDA as a good one but don't know the name anyone help?

G

Ged

There are loads on the market these days.
Normally sold as anticeptic/bacterial hand wash/gel. Yes Asda do one as do Avon. Also try Boots or Super Drugs etc. All as good as each other.

David Craine

Reaction score
Massive, Do You mean Weils diseas... caught from rats?, if so I dont think that there is much danger of getting an infection unless you fish some extremely dodgy areas..if you are that worried, the antiseptic wipes that you get in first aid boxes should possibly do, you can get them from Boots the chemist.

C

Cakey

"Gloves in a Bottle" shielding lotion..............best Ive seen

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

look for the lotions that say you DON'T have to use water with

Mithrandir

Reaction score
here is a quote from a uk medical site I found ages ago, sorry I have lost the site address.

Leptospirosis (Weil?s disease)

Leptospira icterohaemorrhagiae is most commonly transmitted by exposure to the water of sewers, stagnant canals and ponds which has been contaminated by the urine of brown rats.

Some rivers in England such as the Trent, are a risk for people who enjoy water sports such as kayaking.

It may also be transmitted to humans by badgers and hedgehogs. Infection could also be caused by contact with contaminated predators of the host animals such as dogs or foxes.

It has an incubation period of 2-30 days and then can present with the following symptoms

* Sudden onset of fever
* Muscle pains
* Headache
* Conjunctivitis
* Rash
* A dislike of bright lights (photophobia)

Most people recover fully and it is probably under-diagnosed in its mild form, passing as a flu-like illness. More severe cases may develop a kind of meningitis and possibly kidney failure. Extreme cases develop haemorrhages in the skin, mucous membranes, such as the inside of the mouth and lungs. This is very serious and patients become very ill and may die within a week. The mortality rate in such cases is as high as 20%. If diagnosed early, penicillin can be useful.

People most at risk include farmers, vets, sewage workers and those taking part in water sports. Bear in mind though, the garden pond - particularly if you know there are rats in the neighbourhood. It may be worthwhile limiting your exposure to the water, and thoroughly washing your hands after exposure.