My Story, Ron Clay Part 2

J

Jeff Spiller

Good story Ron, sound's like you have had some up's and down's along the way.
Hope the up's outweigh the down's.

Reaction score
I nearly started another thread for a giggle! ;-)

Another fascinating read Ron.

It must have been a very difficult time in SA living through the UN sanctions and political upheavals in the 80s.

Have you been back since? Has it changed for the better?

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

very fine writing ron i enjoyed reading them so much i cant wait for the next one. you mention peter stone a fine angler indeed a man i would have loved to have met but sadly now never to be . but one one day maybe i,ll meet the lovely ron clay . tight lines mate

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I was last back there in 1999, on a business/holiday period of 3 weeks. And I do keep in contact with a few old friends.

SA has changed beyond all recognition since '94 when I left. Some things for the better, some for the worse.

Although a lot of people of more races have a lot more money and wealth today, there is still a lot that have nothing, mainly because they are uneducated and un-employable. Some I know, think that this may cause a Mugabe type situation where the white farmers are kicked off their land. If that happens there will be starvation and the economy will die, just as it did in Zimbabwe.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
All that be as it may, BUT, did you notice . . . . Mr. Clay is wearing a baseball cap in one of those pictures?

GOTCHA!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe one of these days I'll post the picture of Ron waving around about a thousand quids worth of Barder Merlin split cane rod, and that will screw his rep' for good ;-0)

Good on you Ron though, a lovely story!

Cheers my friend . . . . .

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Old Stoney was a very great friend to myself. He was a lovely character and indeed a very fine all round angler.

When you look at his overall angling successes whether it be as a match angler, a coarse angling specimen hunter, a fly fishermen or a sea angler, you will get an insight into really how good he was.

They don't make 'em like that today.

Thanks Peter. I brought that cap back from SA. I rather liked it as it had a Large Mouth Bass on the front.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"Agreed with morespiders, we like the SA talk really :)"

NO we don't !!!!!