My Story, Ron Clay Part 2

Y

yoggy

Yet another great write up Ron.Your life seems to be full of both highs and lows. But it takes a true strength of character to overcome these,and you do this admirably.

J

Jeff Spiller

It look's that way, I didn't know what you meant until I saw your post :)

S

Sean Meeghan

Nice one Ron. Just goes to show how much we can learn from anglers in other countries - its not just predator fishing that has benefitted.

Paul C

Reaction score
Great life story.

Ron, you've got a cap on..... how could you indeed?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

scruffy looking hypocrite -- and making Sean wear one too !

T

The Monk

An excellent piece as usualy mate. The lad in the picture with the catfish is Barry Kemp, I`ve known Barry for about 30 odd years he was one of the original memeber of my group, the Manchester Carp Group, he left the UK with his cousin Gary and both went to live in the RSA back in the late 70s, they returned again in the early 90s, I last fished with Barry a few years ago on Horshoe when we had a week together

S

Stevie 12345

Good article Ron, I admire the way you adapted to the many changes that you have had or chosen to face.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Than's for the kinds remarks guys.

I used to have a framed copy of a certain poem by Rudyard Kipling on my desk. Whenever I was down in the dumps, I used to read it.

To me is represents some of the most inspiring words ever written.

Most of you will have read this poem at sometime in your lives:

www.org.uk/poems_if.htm

L

Les Clark

A great article Ron and i suspect only the tip of the iceberg so to speak .

S

Sean Meeghan

I've got an even better hat than that - must change my picture!

Y

yoggy

Do you know what Ron. I still dont know the reason behind the "Hat" in your name. Who started it and how did it come about????

Y

yoggy

Oh I see!!!!!!!!

Mind you Ron, your taste in hats are way above those tacky horrible peak style baseball caps!!!!! ;-}

Paul Salters

Reaction score
Hi Ron, im Paul, 62 years young,i read your story and i was there all the way, i emigraed to S>A.n 1967 and came back 1976, call me mug ,i do ha, lived corlet drive

22miles out side joburg,like you said, live the dream,was gods own country,i did more shooting than fishing, but fished hartberspot dam sorry for spelling,well god bless, would love to fish with you some time, we could walk thows memorys. Iv just taken up barbel fishing but yet to land a double.My nearest river is the trent, but hopeing to go to middle river seven July
,Regards Paul

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Hi Paul,

Yes I knew Corlett Drive very well. I used to be a member of the Wanderers Club and many was time I spent many happy hours watching cricket from the Corlett Drive end stand.

I built my house in Birchleigh near Kempton Park. In latter years I sold it and moved to a townhouse in Norkem Park

Fished at "Harties" many times and caught some big carp and sharptooth catfish, we called them "barbel" in those days if you remember. Maybe you were a member of the RPA in those days. The Rand Piscatorial Association had some lovely waters on Vaal Dam and The Vaal River on the way to Parys.

Maybe we can get together after barbel on the Trent this summer. Send me a PM.