Wintle?s World ? Uncatchable Fish

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I don't know about uncatchable, but the hardest fish I've ever tried to catch are some mullet on Anglesey and some big bream on a particular mere, bream that continually rolled in the swim on some nights but refused every bait they were offered.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

In my life I have always relished the idea of trying to catch the most "difficult" fish, sometimes irrespective of size.

I am mindful here of the carp of Redmire Pool.

It seemed that one or two of these fish were "mugs" as Mark describes them. Chris Yates record carp was caught umpteen times before by such anglers as Jack Hilton, Tom Mintram, Pete Thomas, Roger Bowskill and a few others. Yet for a period there seemed to exist in that water a couple of huge carp that were seen but never caught.

**** Walker once decribed to me in detail how he visited Redmire in early June. He noticed that the carp were spawning and sat there watching them. Then he spotted a very big carp that had beached itself in the shallows and seemed to be in difficulties. He went back to his car, grabbed his net and a hefty spring balance, waded out and netted the fish.

It was a fully scaled common.

He carried it up to the dam wall and after nursing the fish some time, he released it. But before he let it go he weighed it in the net. Subtracting the weight of the net, it went 53 lbs! This took place in the 50s by the way.

Of course he never published that story for obvious reason, but he reckoned he had saved that fishes life by doing what he did.

It did seem that Redmire at some time had a few very large but "uncatchable" fish.

captain carrott

Reaction score
i knew of one fish which in the late 1980's was caught at 28lb, it wasn't caught for another 4 years, after that i lost touch with the water but as far as i know it wasn't caught again, i do know it was still alive 4 years after it was caught because i saw it.
so this one though not uncatchable was pretty hard.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Yes Graham, mullet can indeed be exasperating.

Years ago I fished for mullet from the harbour wall in Durban. I think they were more or less the same species found off Britain. They were extremely difficult to catch.

Then there were the Vaal River "Mud Mullet", a freshwater fish found in the Vaal River system of South Africa. Local anglers used to call them "Impossible". They certainly would not take bait, no matter what you put on the hook.

Then I found a way of catching them, with the fly rod and an artificial nymph.

I was told only recently that I still hold an unofficial record for catching mud mullet even today!

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
I was fishing off the spanish coast in early summer last year. The hardbour there was full of Mullet, who wouldn't touch a thing. On returning from a deep sea expedition I found out why. As the fish were gutted in the harbour the entrails and guts etc were thrown overboard. The mullet went mad for them. I've never seen mullet feed in this way in this country. I quickly picked up one of the deep sea rods we've been using and grabbed the first bit of fish guts etc that was to hand. In this case it was a gill raker. I had one first cast. It went over 4lbs. Will get the photo online when I can. Mullet, bizare fish. I don't know anyone whoes ever properly cracked them consisently in this country, on any form of tackle.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Jim Gibbinson has done very well with them Richard. He uses simple float tackle with bread.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder how many of the 'uncatchable' fish are really there and how many are purely mythological as well?

But then, isn't that all part of the wonder of fishing anyway - Chris Yates wrote a couple of chapters about the mythological fish from his youth right up until the (then) present day - and very enjoyable they were to read too.

Some of the locals at a stretch of the Avon I fish often used to talk about the two 'uncatchable' Chub that lived under the Hale bridge too, that was right up until Ron caught the pair of them - upstream ledgering if I recall correctly.

The last time I fished with Jeff though I think I remember him saying that all the fish in his swim were uncatchable ;-)

Ron, what a pity that Jim wasn't with us in that bloody boat on Christchurch Harbour then, maybe he could have shown us how to catch the beggars!

;-)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Well you got a nice one Peter, and the one I bloody hooked got off.

Hell that was a good fish!

I think that the fact that we hooked two mullet and landed one of them means that we were not doing something too wrong.

I certainly would like another bash at those mullet. I've caught too few in my life. People who have never caught mullet cannot begin to understand just how powerful they are.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Mark, good subject matter!

I used to think that all sorts of fish were uncatchable but I later discovered it was just my lack of knowledge and experience.

I now think that given the time, I would work out a way of catching my target fish. I'm sure I might get a tad frustrated during the process!

I don't know how many of you read Terry Hearn's stuff, but he certainly seems to catch his target fish.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I would not regard mullet as uncatchable. They do share one characteristic with barbel and some other species in that a certain degree of conditioning helps. That conditioning is regular feeding. For instance, those mud mullet. If they were fed bread day after day eventually they would cotton onto it and take it freely.

As for 'I don't know of anyone who has cracked them...' then sorry to disappoint you but there are plenty of anglers who catch them regularly. I managed to get them to order (two species) in the Species Race last summer, and I've caught them since 1972. Any decent roach angler can catch them, and float is far from the only method.

Walker reckoned in the sixties that barbel needed to become accustomed to anglers' baits, comparing easy barbel of the heavily fished Royalty with the hardly fished for and, at the time, uncatchable, barbel of the middle Avon. When the middle Avon was opened up in the seventies the barbel became catchable.

The fish that frustrate me are the ones that seem uncatchable even though other fish of the same species in the same water are catchable.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Sorry to say that a very good means of catching the mullet in Christchurch harbour is .. yes you've guessed it .. method feeder and baitrunners!

Mark is right about Mullet.The fish in Christchurch Harbour are accustomed to seeing anglers baits particularly bread and therefore recognise it as a food source.Dittos Richard's fish in the harbour in resepct of fish guts.You could call them "domesticated" mullet.

Reading about "wild" mullet in creeks and estuaries,they have a totally natural diet and would only recognise bait after pre-baiting.Unless you could somehow emulate their natural food, then they would be uncatchable until you had educated them on to your chosen bait.

I catch a fair few every summer from the shore in Christchurch harbour and would be happy to get together with a few of you to have a bash for them,although my previous "guiding" attempts have not been too succesful as PJ,DB and Graham W would testify to!

Maverick

Reaction score
I fished on the Royalty stretch of the Hants Avon last year for the fist time, and while floatfishing down towards the roadbrige had thousands of what i think were mullet come swimming past me (coincided with high tide i believe?), but they would not even look at a maggot or caster even though they did appear to be feeding on something. There were some big girls there too which i'm sure would give my tackle a good workout.

Morespiders

Reaction score
I have fly fished for mullet in Jersey for four years, lots of them, but never had a single take.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

They are becoming quite a popular target for fly fishers now.The best fly seems to be an imitation of the the snad fly maggot which can be found on rafts of rotting seaweed.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Sorry Mark but that just didn't happen.

The mud mullet or moggel, a cyprinid (Labeo umbratus) of the Orange River system forms something like 40% of the fish population of those rivers. They are often found in vast shoals. You could feed them with bread, maize, maize meal, worms, anything you name over as long as you wanted and you would not get them to take these sorts of baits.

A fish closely related was the Mudfish (Labeo capensis. This species was easily caught on small pieces of bread flake or flour dough, either float fished or link legered.

However I discovered they could be caught on weighted GRHs and Montana nymphs fished with a fairly fast retrieve.

The Mud Mullet feeds almost exclusively on algae and reaches weights up to 6 lbs. It is a fine fighter and looks a bit like a barbel with spots. But instead of barbules it possesses what are termed "papillae" on it's mouth.

In all my years fishing the Vaal River system I never caught one of these fish on bait. Neither did any of my friends either. But occasionally the odd one is taken. I got the impression however that they were foul-hooked fish.

simon yorke-johnson

Reaction score
Off for my first mullet session of the season. Using bread and freelined expander pellet. Liquidised bread as ground bait.... but perhaps I'm giving too much away.
Mullet have proved almost uncatchable!

L

Laurie Harper

Surely all fish can be "uncatchable at one time or another. Climatic conditions, time of day, etc may be wrong, they may be spawning/not interested in eating, or, as Richard's post about fish guts shows, we just may not be offering what they want or recognise as food.

T

The Monk

statisically some fish will never get caught, this could be for a variety of reasons, I believe some fish just dont recognised anglers baits as being edible while others will only feed on natural baits or even filter feed, water dependant of course. Ronnie Briggs survied quite well without getting caught and many criminals never get caught, I`ve fished some waters for carp for many years and studied all, captures and recorded by photography all or most fish caugh, on sysdicate waters we have stocked fish which have only ever shown up again years later in nettings, I`ve also netted club waters which have been fished regularly and which have produced unknown fish, yes some fish will remain uncaught, without doubt.