If article in ATcorrect

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Des Taylor on page 54 of this weeks AT, says that he see's that Andy Nellist and Mike Heylin have joined the BRFC.

He then goes on to say, and I quote,--

'.. and they want regional 'experts' to attend captures to safely take the evidence. When they say expert I hope they mean someone skilled in fish indentification and weighing procedures and not just a top big name man only there to abuse their position and find out the location of record waters. Before you laugh, it's happened plenty of times before.' end quote.

Is Des correct?
What is the evidence for his statement that it has happened before?
What qualifications/qualities should these 'experts' pocess?
Is he correct and that the record fish list needs to be funded and run professionally?
Is Des correct in saying an amateur system (in the unpaid sense) will never work.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Without any doubt at all, I would say that it happens. It is pretty well unavoidable really. It should be looked upon as a privalaged position to be in. Information is always going to leak out.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
How would you approach the issue Baz.

Should we ideally have non fishing scientists/biologists paid a professional fee for their services, if so how is it to be paid for?

Would ALL anglers be happy to pay out more money. A lot of anglers are not motiavated to fish for records.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"Would ALL anglers be happy to pay out more money"

I doubt it ---As it is ALL anglers won't even pay out for a licence

W

Wolfman Woody

It could be funded by the ATA (Angling Trades Association), if they would be interested. Or what about the EA, it would be in their interests to know what the largest fish of each species could be, for scientific purposes of course.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Exactly what I was hinting at Ed.

Woody, EA a good idea, but how much would they want to put on licences to pay for it when a lot of folk resent the cost now and some don't buy one at all.

I can't see the benefit to the ATA, so why might they be interested?

matt

Reaction score
The EA if they chose to accept the chalenge would be ideal candidates.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

You will have to excuse me Richard. I am probably thinking of something different.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

The objective of the BRFC is to maintain an accurate list of the heaviest fish caught fairly on rod and line.

It needs to be easy to claim and cheap but at the same time claims need to be verified thoroughly.

To that end Mike and I are looking at the possibility of setting up a network of collectors and are asking for volunteers. There would be a strict code of conduct for collectors.

The coarse fish record list is now bang up to date on the NFSA website and Mike and I are working on a new site for the Freshwater List.

K

Ken

Cannot speak for the rest of the BRFC panel but I have never met such a passionate and enthusiastic champion for angling as Mike Heyin. I was at the UNCM (French equivalent of ECHO) with Mike and Steve Maidment of CEFAS and the pair of them came across as being 110% committed.

W

Wolfman Woody

Must be true then if Andy says so. Well done both you.

I just wonder how Mike is going to add yet another position/duty to his already busy calendar.

captain carrott

Reaction score
how are you ever going to get any fishing done with a new child and that on your plate?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Apart from the record dace...

There is no reason why the BRFC shouldn't be sponsored provided it retains its impartiality.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

It shouldn't be too time consuming -- How many record fish claims are there ??
and what would the 'collecting' entail?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I don't know Mike but I do know Andy and if Mike is as concientious as Andy then the BRFC have two fine additions. Maybe they can get Mark Wintle on there as well, that would be another excellent addition then perhaps we would see an end to the somewhat dubious decisions they have come to in the past.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I know Andy, we had a long chat about hybrids at the Ribble fish in last year.

Andy's attention to detail is exactly what this position needs, I'm sure he will take the body forward.

J

john conway

Like Ric says I?m sure all those who have met Andy will not doubt his commitment and ability to take the BRFC forward. Andy?s a good problem solver and a pragmatist so I?ve no doubt what ever system they put forward will be workable and accurate. All the best Andy.