Review - Premierlight LED Lantern

W

Wolfman Woody

Looks like with the advent of LEDs, my Colman petrol powered storm lantern is going to see the end of its days very soon. Plus, the Colman is dangerous to use inside anywhere and especially so a bivvy. The new price of this Premierlight is about half that of a Colman anyway.

The only thing that gets me is the use of D cells. Why not go for ordinary AAs or allow for a simple recharging connection? Just seems a little early 19th century thinking and why three batteries? Why not two or four for that's how you buy them and charge them up, surely the lamp could be regulated with an even number of batteries?

So, it looks like a good deal that needs a little tweeking here and there. My first thoughts, anyway.

W

Wolfman Woody

Don't go agreeing with me just for the sake of it.

There's a few things annoying me right now about the design of electrical items. The world has moved on a lot in the past few years, particularly with the design of new flourescent household lamps and yet still, the enclosures for them are designed to take lamps design by Eddison in 1889.

Light switches is another hang up with me. They are still the same old 3?inche square that came out just around the second world war. Yet, the gubbins inside is only 2" x 1" in most cases so why not make some switches that size?

D cells are a thing of the past, reminscent of policeman's torches and Raleigh bicycle lamps. Wake up to the brave new world, please?

L

Les Clark

I don`t see the need of a lot of light when night fishing , back in the late 70`s ,there was a trend for the old tilly lamps ,used to drive me around the bend being on some lakes ,tilly lamps at each bivvy .

Alnath

Reaction score
AA cells wouldn't give 45 days use thats why they ain't used them, pretty obvious really. If it is a problem buy some D to AA converters but you wont get anywhere near the run time quoted because the LEDs are overdriven to get the required brightness.

I had better not tell my daughter D cells are a thing of the past, she would be gutted to think he new boom box is obsolete.

W

Wolfman Woody

Who wants to stay in a bivvy for 45 days?

Oh, I forgot. The Monk!

Found some ?sized lightswitches too. They're called architrave switches. So shurrup Spider! There.

Steve Savage Savage

Reaction score
These suckers are made in Communist China, not the most innovative nation in the world when it comes to design. It would be nice to see something a little more modern looking, something made out of metal, and something that won't break on the 3rd use and isn't covered in lead contamination.

InteraX

Reaction score
"The only thing that gets me is the use of D cells. Why not go for ordinary AAs or allow for a simple recharging connection? Just seems a little early 19th century thinking and why three batteries? Why not two or four for that's how you buy them and charge them up, surely the lamp could be regulated with an even number of batteries?
"

It called built-in-obselecence. I was taucght about this on my electronics course at uni. A design trick used by manufacturers of anything nowadays to make you go out and buy more, more, MORE!!!!

Also, as is requires 3 batteries, you can't get away with nuying a pair, but have to buy 4, leaving you with 1 left over. Another trick to make you buy more than you need.

If the generation 1 product was perfect and lasted forever, why would anyone want to go out and buy generation 2?

It's a great shame that companies work this way and think this way, but that's the way of life and business. Look at the IT world. Something that costs ?500 new today will be worthless in 3 years time.