Zebco Launches 'Next Generation' of Fishing Reels

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Lots of 'holes' and 'slots' to reduce weight but also lots of nooks and crannies to aloow the ingress of water and dirt??

The whole article seems to consentrate entirely on weight/strength ratio but, seemingly, fails to mention what other inovative ideas have been introduced that are actually 'new'....

Perhaps I'm jumping the gun....

sam vimes

Reaction score
Re: Zebco Launches 'Next Generation' of Fishing Reels

Useless for left-handers, as usual. Unless you want to try casting a waggler off a multiplier.

If you look at the pics on the Quantum website it looks like the handle on the fixed spool spinning reels may be swappable.

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

You haven't seen the price yet!

I have, the fixed spool reels are over two hundred quid.
Monster Fishing Quantum Reels

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'm no sea fisherman but I would imagine reels used for this branch of the sport take considerably more stick (not to mention continual soakings from sea water!) than those used for freshwater.....

At £200+ are they man enough for the job and is weight that critical when sea fishing?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Swapping the handle won't alter the winding direction, and leaves me with a reel I have to work against, not with. OK if it's a super-cheapie, (holiday emergencies, for example) but if proper money is being asked, I want everything working with me.

sam vimes

Reaction score

Swapping the handle won't alter the winding direction, and leaves me with a reel I have to work against, not with. OK if it's a super-cheapie, (holiday emergencies, for example) but if proper money is being asked, I want everything working with me.

Are there any reels out there, regardless of price, with the "correct" winding direction for a cack hander? (exclude those bloody awful antique Mitchells.;):p:D)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score

Only vintage ones - the Abu 663/664/665, Abu Dragmaster DM2,3,4&5; and the slightly-less-awful Mitchell 209, 309 and 409; also the excellent closed-face Abu 508 and the RHW version of the less-excellent Shakey "Match International". So far as I know.

Which is why I use centre-pins a lot.

I feel really sorry for the younger southpaw angler.

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

Sorry, HOW much? For modifying a reel so all the groundbait can get in and burger it?

Harrumph!

sam vimes

Reaction score

Sorry, HOW much? For modifying a reel so all the groundbait can get in and burger it?

Harrumph!

I don't suppose that they've even considered groundbait use. It'll be intended mainly for the US market and lure fishing in particular.