which drennan ???

dnahacker

Reaction score
I was hoping for a consensus opinoin here..

i have recently returned to the coarse fishing fold, i am privileged to hold a membership of a club on the river Itchen, the main focus of my efforts is fly fishing, however the club allows coarse fishing during the closed season, i have had alot of fun in recent weeks long trotting..

i am currently using a browning hotrod waggler rod, which id a perfectly good if not a shade heavy...

I was bought a youngs bob james super lightweight for my 40th and would like to use something a little lighter in the hand to complement the stunning reel

the series 7 rods seem to tick all the right boxes but i am struggling to make a choice... i am wanting a bit of a jack of all trades... 99% of its use wwill be trotting on the itchen, most of the catch is grayling and chub with a few roach , out of season brownies, but i have hooked seatrout and salmon also and i have seen 6lb + chub pulled out regularly..

i have also had my appitite wetted a little and the rose tinted classes have come out, i fancy a bit of general coarse fishing action this coming year so i might want to target tench, crucians, rudd, perch... (not really interested in the commercial carp thing)

with all that in mind...i am torn with regard to rod choice...

-series 7 silverfish float
-series 7 tench float
-series 7 competition float

the silverfish really speaks to me but i fear it is undergunned, but then i dont really like skull draging fish out of the water... am am not polish !!!

so... light, not over gunned but with a bit on the back pocket to cope with big bonus fish... dont want much do i... :)

if you can recommend anything else that might fit the bill i am open to suggestions, the series 7's can be had from a local shop for £77 so i am kinda around that price...

i am liking the drennan stuff after trying a mates 14foot match pro ultrlight on the river, he had a couple of chub of 5.5 pound and the rod coped beautifully, i just cannot justify that much dosh at the moment

thanks

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
I'd try a few rods in the shop and look for a tippy actioned heavyish match rod, rated for around 4lb to 6lb main lines. I've got a Garbolino match carp that is really good for trotting. It has a soft tip which allows me to use fine hook lengths, but the relatively stiff middle section will also pull round under pressure allowing the use of heavier lines if needed.

Rods to look at around your budget are the Daiwa Yank 'n Bank and the Shakespeare Mach III. There are loads of decent carp match rods around, but some of them are a little too through actioned for trotting. I'd also avoid (or at least look very carefully at) specimen rods like the Tench float as they can be a little too heavy in the tip for light lines.

There was some discussion about trotting rods on here a few weeks ago and a browse through that will give you some adeas and convince you that getting a concensus on this is a folorn hope!

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

here and here

mol

Reaction score
I'm sure somebody will know for sure but I thought the Series 7 silverfish was the series version of the matchpro ultralight

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Personally i'd go for the im9 classic but failing that then i'd go for tench float version in the series 7 range.