THIS WEEKEND TAKE THE BAIT AND GET HOOKED ON FISHING

I

Ian Cloke

The Environment Agency are calling on novice anglers to come and learn or improve their fishing skills at ?Fish, Fish, Fish?, the Festival of Fishing and Fishkeeping, on Saturday 28 April 2007. The event is being hosted by and held at the country?s Centre of Excellence for Fishery Studies, Sparsholt College, in Hampshire.

The lessons are open to anglers of any ability and age. The Environment Agency along with National Fishing Association coaches will be on hand at the waterside to teach novice anglers different angling methods, tackle and bait and the rod licensing system. They will also have the chance to learn about the importance of fish care and welfare and fishing in the Hampshire area.

Fishing lessons are free and can be booked on the day with Environment Agency officers. Lessons start at 9.00am and finish at 3.30pm. Bait and fishing tackle for the day will all be supplied. Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.

Visitors will also have the opportunity to attend talks and workshops by top names in angling and fish keeping, attend coaching sessions, go on a guided tour of the College?s hugely impressive fish house and visit the many exhibitions by fishery experts.

Hannah Wright, Environment Agency Hampshire Fisheries Project Officer said:

"Angling is a great pastime, but one that can be difficult to get to grips with on your own. We want everyone to have the opportunity to enjoy the simple pleasures of going fishing ? a pastime that helps people appreciate and protect their environment.

"This event is an excellent opportunity for us to give a helping hand to those who have never tried fishing and want to get started, or newcomers who want advice to improve their skills and learn a variety of angling techniques."

Shaun Leonard, Head of Fishery Studies at Sparsholt College said: "Fish Fish Fish will be a fantastic day out for anyone keen on angling or fish keeping or for those who want to find out more. As well as learning to catch a fish, visitors can get expert advice on all aspects of angling, fish keeping and fishery management. It will also be a great opportunity to see an incredible array of beautiful fish in the National Aquatics Training Centre, including carp from one day old to 30 lbs, walking catfish, spitting Archer Fish, our 45 year old lung fish, seahorses, octopuses and piranhas ? the list is endless."

ENDS

Notes to editors

The admission charge is only ?5.00 per car. For further information on this event or to book a place please call the college?s Fish Section on 01962 776441 or go to the website for details www.sparsholt.ac.uk.

T

Terry D

I'm coaching there if anyone one wants to stop and have a chat.

T

trev matthews

Hope they all have rod licences to cover them for the day

T

Terry D

Don't need rod licences as the EA provide this free on the day for anyone who wants to have a go.

T

trev matthews

sounds like its all covered then. Wish I could get there, I would like to do the same sort of thing but on a smaller scale for the kids at my school. Then when Ive got a little army of anglers we will take on other schools and then who knows.

I

Ian Cloke

Trev, I'm sure Terry D will give you some info on how to run such an event, if you just send him an email mate ;-)

T

trev matthews

Ian that sounds like a plan as soon as ive got my act sorted out at school ill send him a mail cheers