Fishing superstars

Beecy

Reaction score
Have any of you have watched the US tournament Bass fishing on Sky ?

Watched it last night and its amazing how popular this seems to be in the US.

The competitors looked like F1 racing drivers with all the sponsorship badges all over their jackets, and the sponsored speed boats they use look serious bits of kit.

Best of all was the weigh in, performed in proper yank razmataz style, an indoor arena in front of an enthusiastic crowd of what looked like thousands, lights, fireworks, scantily clad birds?

And the 2006 winner was presented with a cash prize of $500,000.00 !!!

could this type of thing happen anywhere else but the US ?

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Ha ha I did see it once, only the Americans could turn it into the huge "showbiz" affair they seem to manage, especially when it comes to the weigh in, I've never seen a commentator get so enthralled and energetic over the weight of fish lol, at first I thought it was some sort of comedy programme, I didn't hear much talk of "offence" and "defence" though. Only thing it lacked was some cheerleaders, maybe they cud have worn some knee high waders ?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

That must have been the Bassmasters Classic, the biggest fishing competition in the world. And the winner, actually gets more than 1/2 million bucks, when you add in sponsorships and other trade deals.

One must remember that fishing is by far the biggest participent sport in the States, bigger than golf for example. The top bass anglers are pros in every way and just as famous in America as Tiger Woods.

This sort of thing could never happen here, or anywhere in the world for that matter. We don't have enough anglers, our sport is not recognised as it should be by the government and the average Brit does not have as much disposable income as the average American.

We also do not have the Largemouth Black Bass.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Or the waters that they have ......

A lake of 40 or 50 acres is just a pond over there ....

Beecy

Reaction score
what struck me most was the enthusiasm of the audience at the weigh in, they were going mental at every fish pulled out of the bag !

I know we get fair sized crowds at evevts such as fish-o-mania but nothing compared to this lot

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron said:
"The top bass anglers are pros . . . .. "

and mostly Rednecks to boot!

"This sort of thing could never happen here"

Thank God for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beecy said:
"they were going mental at every fish pulled out "

Well, you have to remember that these are Americans, mainly from the Southern States, and as such, they do let their emotions go altogether rather quickly.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
They are a very excitable bunch of people the americans, they could turn the opening of an envelope into an all singing all dancing 2 hour glitter, smoke, loud music, huge audience affair. One has to wonder do they hi five when they dress themselves of a morning?

Beecy

Reaction score
"This sort of thing could never happen here"

Thank God for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im not sure about that Peter,would it be so bad? - we often moan about how low a profile fishing has here and the lack of TV coverage etc. etc..

It appears this is very big business over there, the competition was sponsored by walmart, and the anglers were sporting adverts for some other big corporations, not just tackle manufactureres

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

BASS (Bass Angler's Sportsman Society) was started by Evangelical Christian: Ray Scott in the 70s. Since then it has become the most powerful and most influential angling organisation in the world with membership world wide of several million.

I used to be a member!

They pioneered catch and release bass fishing. The whole idea of the various tournaments was to raise vast sums of money to conserve the habitat of the large and small mouth bass and to develop more waters for this species.

BASS today is a multi-billion dollar organisation that even boasts George Bush and several other previous US presidents as members. Whilst such organisations exists, our sport will never have a problem with the antis!

Michael Howson

Reaction score
I hope your right ron. The reason this peta gang are targetting the uk is because their campaigns in the us have run aground and they are looking for soft options but i think they will suffer the same fate here or at least i hope they do.

S

Scott Whatmore

I don't think we'll ever have anything like that over here. Mainly because fishing here is so diverse, but something along those lines certainly wouldn't hurt our sport.

All credit to Sky for pushing the viewing boundaries with Fish-O-Mania. Who would have thought only 10 years ago that they would be able to watch a 6-7 hour programme of a live fishing match?

Mike McHugh

Reaction score
Well I dont watch fishing here, Id rather go myself, but not as many of the competitors are from the south as you might think. Sure a lot are, but htere are many from the midwest and New England too. And i do agree though that it is a little too hyped up.
PS. We probably could make the opening of an envelope a 2-hour premier spectacular, but i dont neccessarily see it as a bad thing, it all depends on how you look at it(it would be bad if people actually WATCHED it, which they probably would.)
PPS. If I could I would high five myself after I got dressed in the morning

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Bring back "Hooked" is what I say!

Good to have your input Mike.