maggots

nicky

Reaction score
when you buy maggots from the tackle shop have they been treated in anyway to stop the risk of infection from the rotten meat that they were breed on or are they just removed from the meat mixed with some maize etc and sent to the tackle shop?

Lark

Reaction score
Going back a good few years I believe the EU had something to say on this matter.
Although I think the tabloids and weekly angling press approached it along the lines of the infamous anti-euro "Straight Bananas" headline, I do believe that there were some very concerned maggot breeders in the UK at the time wondering whether the processing of maggots on uncontrolled dead flesh would become illegal.
I don't know if the processes and controls were actually improved or whether it was all just euro-bashing, but it all died a death.

W

Wolfman Woody

As far as I know, maggot sare not treated in any way other than to clean them in bran or sawdust.

They give off in their sweat a lot of ammonia, which in itself is a germ killer. So essentially and maggot that's been off the feed a couple of days should have cleaned itself.

Interesting -
They are now used, after being treated, to clean out sceptic wounds in some cases. They are placed on the puss and a clean dressing is applied ove the top. A few days later, the dressing is removed and the maggots have digested all the fowl flesh.

They also used to be used for "home-cured" ham. The ham was heavily salted and wrapped in butter muslim and the flies would leave their blows on it. The maggots hatched and carried the salts through the meat. After a couple of weeks the ham was taken down and slowly boiled and all the maggots would come to the surface.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
SAS are given maggots to eat as they are full of protein so I think its highly unlikely they carry disease.

I was sat fishing a lake once and an SAS guy on a survival course appeared from nowhere and asked me for some line and a hook so he could catch a fish to eat. I gave him some and then he asked for some maggots which I naturally thought he would use as bait, he sat beside me chatting and ate them all then slipped silently away again.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

That wasn't an SAS man --that was Ron scrounging his supper again!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Maggots in themselves are not dirty at all. In fact they convert harmful bacteria to harmless chemicals such as ammonia. If it wasn't for maggots and flies, we would catch all sorts of deseases.

As Jeff says they will eat rotting flesh and clean up wounds extremely well. The ancient Romans knew of this as well as certain primitive African tribes.

In fact if you watch the movie "Gladiator" you will see where Maximus is told by an African fellow gladiator not to remove the maggots from a sword wound.

Maggots are certainly not evil and repugnant, they are our friends in more ways that one.

Morespiders

Reaction score
You again Nicky, where the hell were you last weekend?, waited hours then went home.Dont worry about the maggots just put them on the hook and cast out.Your the first person thats ever worried about them. Rinse them in Dettol if your worried.

nicky

Reaction score
I ain't worried quite the opposite if you must know i've just bred a big bucket load of them and wanted to know if theres any difference in handling them than the ones you buy in the shop

pcpaulh

Reaction score
how much meat did you use to get the amount of maggots you got, did it work out cheaper then buying them?

nicky

Reaction score
didn't cost me anything, already had a small bucket which has a lid with a hole in the middle, put two left over chicken carcusses in, left it for a week or so, went back and got about a pint and half, i'll probably get another pint from it, they look like good maggots all different sizes and really wriggley.

nicky

Reaction score
Christian I suggest you put it away from your house, and make sure no cats or foxes etc can get at it as something had been having ago at the bucket.
make sure you thoroughly wash your hands afterwards.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Yeah might be a no no. It definatly won't be living in the house and theres loads of cats and the odd fox about round here.

nicky

Reaction score
I put mine in the wood at the end of my street, should be ok as long as the container is securely sealed

Morespiders

Reaction score
You dirty bugger,you dont know what you could catch off those. Dont try it Christian ,your mother will kill you.

I

Ian Cloke

Christian, if you ask your local butcher for a pigs heart(dirt cheap, or sometimes free) then put it into a biscuit tin, leave it out side, and watch it, till about 6 flies have laid their eggs. Then put the lid on the tin, and bury it for about a week, and check it, if the maggots are big enough, riddle the off, and put them into some sawdust to clean off a bit, if they are a bit small then bury the tin and check daily. You should get some of the best maggots in the world mate;-)

nicky

Reaction score
Ian's right pigs heart is better or so it says in an old dog eared book i have "begin fishing with uncle bill"