Carp killed as toads go on breeding orgy

I

Ian Cloke

AMOROUS toads have killed at least ?10,000 worth of fish after trying to engage them in a breeding orgy.

Thousands of toads tried to get friendly with carp in a lake at the Wykeham Estate, near Pickering, North Yorkshire, just before Easter.

The recent warm weather led the amorous amphibians to believe it was mating season and they moved into the shallow, warmer waters favoured by the fish.
advertisement

About a dozen common toads have been latching on to one fish, which drowns as it cannot move its gills, and sinks to the bottom of the lake.

Mike Heelis, lake manager at Wykeham Estate, described the incident as "unnatural" and "sickening" and said so far that about 2,000 dead carp had been recovered at an estimated cost of more than ?10,000.

"Walking around the lake with thousands of toads hopping about was like witnessing a biblical plague.

"The situation has started to ease, but at one point we had thousands of toads swimming about the lake in what can only be described as a breeding orgy."

Mr Heelis said another problem was caused by the rotting fish, which produce ammonia that kills other fish.

He said that during his 40 years of experience of looking after fish, he had never come across the problem.

The Environment Agency said while it was rare, it was not unheard of. Its staff visited the site but said the toads could not be moved as they are protected.

A spokesman said: "We gave advice to the owner, but this is part and parcel of us living with nature."

But Mr Heelis said the lake was his livelihood and he should be able to protect the fish. He said anglers would miss out as the lake would be under-fished this summer. He added that if the incident happened again, the lake may have to close.

"If this is a natural occurrence, obviously we cannot afford to lose that amount of fish every year.

"Potentially, it could close the lake. We cannot keep throwing money at something that is not working," he said.

mick boswell

Reaction score
I remember losing a little orf I had in a garden pond to a similar thing with frogs. Noticed a ball of them wrapped around the fish but nothing I could do to revive it. I imagine it's quite common in ponds but in open waters where the fish can move around it does seem strange.

captain carrott

Reaction score
both frog and toads will try to form amplexus with just about anything that moves, in some the males have a special call which is basically a get off you iddiot i'm a bloke call for if they grab each other. but most don't they just grab anything that moves in the hope that they might get lucky.

this causes the problem that small fish can be grabbed and suffocated if they get in the wrong place.

for so many fish to have died they must be be massively stocked with very small fish.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Quote:
""We cannot keep throwing money at something that is not working," he said."

Just about sums up some commercial Carp fisheries I suppose.

I wonder of the owners of that lake voted for all year around fishing?