how old was your little one before you decided take them fishing

nicky

Reaction score
My lads is 5 and although i've taken him fishing once or twice it has been hard work, need eyes in the back of your head if you know what i mean.

I want him to get into fishing as i'd like it to be a hobby we can do together, problem is the type of fishing i do float/feeder needs you full attention and isn't ideal when you need to keep your eye on and occupy a little one.

I suppose it would be easier if i were into carp fishing.

I was thinking maybe i could take him once every two or three weeks and reside to the fact that i'm not going to get much fishing done, it will be more along the lines of helping him catch a few and enjoying the day.

How do you lot manage when taking your nippers fishing?

S

Shrek

"I was thinking maybe i could take him once every two or three weeks and reside to the fact that i'm not going to get much fishing done, it will be more along the lines of helping him catch a few and enjoying the day."

That's it in a nutshell!!!!!!

I take my 5 year old fly fishing and I get next to no fishing done at all, I'm there to help her cast and watch as she has fun.

She's yet to catch a fish, but I know when she does it will be the highest elation for both of us.

Be at your lads side as much as you can be and help him to catch something, even if it's only a couple of small roach. Then watch his face when he starts catching more.

captain carrott

Reaction score
get a little whip and take em down the canal for an hour or 2 in the evening from about 4 years old onwards.

don't do any fishing at all your self.

Reaction score
My eldest was about 3 when he first accompanied me on a trip! Mind you he regularly made appearances at an earlier age as taking him for a trip round the local club water was always guaranteed to get him to sleep. (That was my excuse, and it's true, honest!)

Now he's 21, has reached far greater heights on the rugby pitch than I ever have, studies marine biology at university, hasn't fished for about 5 years....and is Captain of his University sailing club!!!!!! The shame, the shame.

L

Laurie Harper

First took my daughter at around age 10. She came fishing with me quite regularly until she reached her mid teens - have some lovely photos of her, including one with a pike - not a huge fish - almost a 20 but quite skinny, so it looks longer/taller than she was at the time. She knew exactly what to do when we hooked it. Without being asked, she got busy and laid out the unhooking mat, got the forceps ready and wielded the landing net. She learned quickly and became quite a good angler. I bought her her own Fox chair, which she was quite proud of and some proper outdoor/angler's cold/wet weather kit so she really looked the part, too. She's 21 and at uni' now. Doesn't fish these days, understandably I suppose, but you never know. She might again one day.

As you say, you must keep your eyes on them sometimes (although kids are usually pretty sensible in my experience) but it is such a delight to teach them to catch a few and the photos - don't forget your camera whatever you do - will make you smile for years afterwards.

T

The Monk

My son was about 3 when I first took him fishing, by the time he was 16 he`d had over 10 thirties

(spoilt brat)

Dave Smith

Reaction score
started taking my lad at 4, just for quick couple of hour session up the local canal. I didn't fish at first, would let him catch a few then make him pack up before he wanted to go home. he'd moan and cry about going but he couldn't wait to go the next time.

we now split our time between fishing for bits and big stuff, he's 8 and has had tench over 5lb bream over 7lb carp over 14lb and one huge roach out of the severn.
at the moment he's filling his bodywarmer with IYCF mission badges. I just hope that he is still as enthusiastic when he grows up.

my girls however couldn't give a toss. why fish when there shopping and dancing...

mick boswell

Reaction score
I took my 7 year old daughter down to Alvechurch fisheries last week and I landed a 4 lb carp whilst she held the rod up high. She said it was the most exciting thing she has ever done.

20 minutes later she wanted to go home cos she was bored? Never again.

nicky

Reaction score
yeh you've made my mind up, i think i'm going to make a date soon and take my boy and get my mate and his boy to come as well and just take rods for them.

I did take my son and my daughter the end of last summer down the river, i hooked about five for my boy and let him reel them in, my daughter caught about 8 fish on her own trout and grayling and at one point during the day a big brownie latched on she screamed the rod bent in half and a split second later it was off.

I took them on a sunday when my wife was in work, i can rememeber her saying take them but i dont think you will be out long as they will want to come home after an hour or two, we went about 9 in the morning, 6:30 in the evening we wander home kids stinking but bursting with excitment i had to nag them to come home in the end, but like everyone has suggested i didn't take a rod for myself and spent all my time focused on them which i think made them enjoy it more

B

Brendan Ince

im really glad i came upon this post because my lads asked me about going fishing with me he is 7 ( he also says he will wait untill i get better then go little git )
i only live 2 mins from my local cannal in blackburn but i am only set up to carp fish i do have a stalker rod
wot tackle do you let youre kids use ? do i just buy him a set up from argos or do i let him use my stuff
i think my stuff might be abit of an overkill on the local cannal ?

Dave Smith

Reaction score
cheep rod and reel 2lb line and a few bits, ?40ish?

I kitted my lad out for his birthday with a float rod, feeder rod, 2 reels, nets, holdall, carry all and bits for about ?125 from WMAC.

captain carrott

Reaction score
3 or 4 meter whip, a few light pole rigs, 20 quid.

why have them getting tangled up with reels when you want them to be catching fish.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I've looked into this a fair bit and discussed it with various people with a view to taking my boy Thomas on his 4th birthday.The consensus seems to be:

1) Use a short whip as opposed to a rod and reel.

2) Only go for a short period,30 minutes or so.

3) Never attempt to fish yourself

4) Only go on your own.One kid is OK to watch over.Any more is too difficult.

5) If they get bored/fed up/cold come home or risk putting them off for good.

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
Definitely buy them a short whip. The lighter the better. They don't have the dexterity at that age to deal with reels, bail arms etc. Perhaps even take a short bank stick with a support to hold up the whip.

My local commercial has a little pond stuffed with F1s just for the kids. They can catch every chuck and to see them fight a three ounce F1 you'd think they had a 12 lb barbel on.

Don't go when its cold or wet and make sure there's lots of chocolate...and expect to go home after an hour!

B

Badger 184

My son was 24 when I first took him fishing by this time he had his own tackle, car, money for bait but was still a pain . " How do tie this and how do you shot this float" What with him and the wife I am the last to get set up.

BARNEY SIMPSON 2

Reaction score
great to see someone taking their kid fishing,to show them how to enjoy the great outdoors,rather than buying them a games console & leaving them in their room.i plan to take my son to a local commerical lake,get there see the bailiff tell him what i am up to maybe he might give me a reduced rate as i am only going for an hour or so,at the moment he is learning to swim better than he already can.<u></u>all the best mate let us know how you get on .take the camera for that first ever fish and the amazement on their face.tight lines
by the way my son is 3 soon

Dave Smith

Reaction score
CC never used a whip or pole in my life, and to be honest can't see me ever using one so I personally would never have brought one for my son to use, I can see the logic there though. like a lot of people my sort of age I started with a 6ft rod and reel from woolies. maybe Lidel is onto something?