Ducks on pondPleasure Or Pain?

Wayne Bradford

Reaction score
hi all i have been fishing for years and all of a sudden the ducks seam to becomming a pain they are for ever stealing bait disturbing swims.so why to ppl allow them to build up in massive numbers i mean 5or6 ducks i love to see but when there are about 20 they become i hazzerd. would just like to know other peopples views on this. thanx a lot

D

Danny Lancaster

I fish a pond where the duck population is around 50, the pond is about 1 acre. They have never been a problem to be honest and the venue is very shallow all over.

Sometimes you get the odd "duck renegade" having a peck at the float but the fish dont seem to mind.

T

The Monk

As anglers we have a responsibility to protect and preserve wildlife and ducks and water fowl can be a problems particularly gulls and deep diving ducks, like Goldeneye, gebes and tufteds etc. I`m also a keen ornothologist and welcome the chance to combined interests

Baiting up at night or dusk can help, or you could always nightnurse them, a few chum mixers soaked in nightnurse will will often knock them out with no ill effect if they become a major problem, this may seem a bit unethical but it is much better to do this that have them hooked by accident, do this only in extreme circumstances when you believe a bird is at serious risk of becoming hooked. For gulls on surface baits often loud claps will deter birds, I also carry a roll up bag with a selection of the ACME bird calls, owls, ducks geese and crow calls, these can also be very effective.

http://www.themusichouse.com/musich/whistles2.htm

Wayne Bradford

Reaction score
dont get me wrong i love em i am a member of the R.S.P.B but thease ducks are like arnold swartzaduck lol they have no problem with attacking humans when they get out there cars i find it funny but some others do not im more concerned about the ducks as they are intitled to be there plus they are breading but it isent no lake its just a local pond not very big plus the coots are starting to fight back who needs boxing eh lol

S

Scott Whatmore

Nowt much we can do really, except to try and keep them away using various methods. But it is our responsibility to make every effort to ensure they don't come to any harm from our tackle.

Don't mention swans to Steaker though, he had a bad day with em at Gold Valley !

Wayne Bradford

Reaction score
i agree what got to do what we can the last thing anyof us want as anglers is the hurt em but in all ducks are cool just got to out smart em :)

C

Cakey

Just my own opinion but..........if the ducks are happy the fish are happy.

spook the ducks off the fish will spook too

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Bang on Cakey. I never have problems with ducks.

I have learned to bait up when the ducks are not around.

I don't really have a problem with swans either. In fact for some strange reason, a swan seems to bring me luck. One of the pits I used to fish for big chup had a fair number of swans on it, and do you know, the chub used to follow the swans around!

The reason for this is that the chub eat swan crap!

T

The Monk

I must admit I have had problems with water fowl on some of the waters I`ve fished and I`ve dealt with them in accordance to my previous post. Fish do follw ducks about, on my local carp lake I often go feeding the ducks and the carp take the baits in the same are often beteen the ducks, the lake is now a nature reserve and no fishing is allowed anymore, which in some respects is probably a good thing, because it was a circuit day ticket water and di attract some poor anglers.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with ducks at all, they taste lovely and a goose at Christmas is a welcome change from turkey, must admit I've never tried swan.

Just wish they didn't scarper when you try to catch them!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

If you have a goose on the table at Christmas make sure you take the castors off the legs or you'll end up out in the back garden ...with all those jerky movements

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Domesticated ducks aren't a problem. Diving ducks are someting else.

would using a laser light do any harm to scare them off?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"The reason for this is that the chub eat swan crap!"
I'd often felt that chub sport improved when swans were about - as long as one could stay zenned ab0ut them - but I'd never realised they were loose feeding for me!

Er... How does one obtain and hook swan poo?