Help for disabled anglers

lightweight

Reaction score
I hope you don't mind me mentioning a new forum set up to help disabled anglers, it's not mine & I have no conection apart from being a member, if you are a disabled angler & you would like someone to go with you or you are an able bodied angler who would like to help then please register on http://www.reels-on-wheels.org/forum/

Many thanks
Ian

B

Badger 184

Nick the guy who is trying to get this of the ground is trying to set up disabled anglers with a buddy all over the country who can help them to go fishing either by providing transport or someone to fish with. Look at the site eyeopening, not in anyway meant to take anything away from BDAA. but a worthwile project on its own.I to have nothing to do with this site.

lightweight

Reaction score
D.E, Have another look, I think you had a quick glimpse then formed an opinion & dismissed it, it is nation wide, if you had taken the time to look round you would have known this, I feel that what this guy is doing is amazing, he's travelling the country promoting this buddy system & compiling a register of disabled friendly venues despite being disabled himself, no able bodied person would do such a thing, I have a lot of respect for him, Take another look.
If you're going to voice an opinion at least get the facts correct first.

B

Badger 184

Hi Lightweight, I have sent an e-mail to Nick asking him to come onto this forum and explain in detail what it is he is trying to do. Might even get some results that way and not put downs like D.E. who obviously hadnt read Nick's website properly

Disabledangler

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ok The BDAA and organisations like them do a fantastic job. What I am trying to do is to create a central database that covers the whole country where able bodied anglers can register and where less able/disabled anglers can register and find themselves a fishing buddy...this is not a localised set up but a national one.
I have the moral support of some of the top anglers in the country so I will carry on travelling around the country on my quest to set this Buddy System up.
There are far to many anglers who cant/dont go fishing because they dont have somebody to help them....This system works because already people have signed up and have arranged to take people fishing and some have already been.
Thats what its all about and we have applied to be recognised as a charitable organisation. We have many supporters and its not about who does what or who is better...its about bringing anglers together and keeping the passion for angling alive.

I have not set out to upset anybody or cause animosity I am just passionate about our sport and am lucky enough to have several buddies as I am a wheelchair user myself and cannot fish alone.

Nick

catch

Reaction score
excellent work disabled angler its about time someone came up with a idea what brings all us fishermen together to help people to get out or just help in any way .

T

trev matthews

I take a disabled angler fishing all the time. He also fishes a local disabled association match every couple of weeks, however that said the more abled anglers amongst them with cars dont like to transport him because he has a guide dog. Once they are sat on their chairs or boxes they are as able and fully functional as me at fishing. Their problems come from transportation and bankside access not fishing ability, so if anyone is thinking that a disabled fishing buddy is going to be a pain then think again, my mate regularly takes coin from me on our side bets, and he's a fantastic night angler. Very often all they need is a little help with getting from A to B, its not much to ask is it.

D

Derek Emerson

I don't think I'm the only one who got hold of the wrong end of the stick here. Yes, I'm guilty of not reading all that I should have about Nick's organisation, and I apologise for that, but why do you people assume that I was trying to belittle his efforts? Think again, I have the deepest admiration for anyone with the balls and detemination to do what he's doing. Before you jump on my neck again, I'll just point out that I'm disabled too, although not visibly, it's a serious heart complaint that holds me back, prevents me from doing many things that I'd like to do.......e.g. I can't fish alone, but I'm fortunate enough to have two sons who fish, and who take the old man along with them. Another point here too, I had an experience with a certain Disabled Anglers Association not too far from where I live........the guy who runs it was (is) going all out to earn himself an MBE or some other sort of gong, and it was so obvious......he didn't ASK for buddies, he DEMANDED that anyone who could set up a rod etc. should do it, yet when he arrived to fish a match he set himself up and carried on, never mind who else was there. Am I not entitled to be a little sceptical?

Nick, you have my utmost respect my friend, more power to your elbow !

D

Derek Emerson

Quick to criticise and slow to forgive a trangression eh lightweight and Badger? Beware the sharp tongue, it may yet turn on you and cause chaos..........lol

D

Derek Emerson

Not so much impatient as having nothing better to do at 2am when I can't sleep lightweight, is that your only comment?

lightweight

Reaction score
You can't sleep either? That was the only comment as I thought I ought to answer as quick as possible before you made another comment :) What do you want me to say? It's not for me to forgive, I hold nothing against you, I just felt that your previous comments were unfair & unjustified, forget about it.

D

Derek Emerson

Well as long as you don't class my second post as unfair or unjustified that's fine........I know exactly what I've said there, but the referral to self-grandisment wasn't aimed at Nick, it was just an observation. Now I shall leave you in peace, and never darken your door again..

Disabledangler

Reaction score
Derek,

Thank you for your comments, I am sorry that you have had a small problem with somebody in your area, ....my aims are simple..I want to create a buddy system to help anybody who needs it.
I appreciate your respect and I am sure that more less able/disabled people will come back fishing or even start when this system is fully up and running.
If you have any friends or know anybody who may benifit from this please point them to my site/forum/blog.

LightWeight lets all be friends now...I thank you for your support.

Nick

B

Badger 184

Derek hope its not to early for you after your late night, your second post explained things in a far better light than the first. I was not having a go at you just asking that you read the site properly , which you have done now I presume. We all know that disabilities come in all shapes and forms and may not seem so apparent as a wheelchair. I apologise if I offended you in any way. Brian

D

Derek Emerson

No offence taken Brian, I'm not at my best early in the morning, so I tend to be a little "tetchy" You were absolutely right my friend, I should have looked at Nick's website properly.

Nick, I will gladly point anyone who is in need of help, or who can help, in your direction. Let's all be friends? Oh yes, why not, we're all adults aren't we?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I posted this on the Buddy Bus thread. I think it might be better here.

I think the buddy bus is a good idea. I am all for helping disabled anglers when I can. But it isn't that straight forward is it?

However, discussions about disabled angling is a very grey area and confuseing for most of us including myself. For instance, If I refer to (It's All About Access) by Terry Moseley on the BDDA website, you can see how confuseing matters can be, i.e. how do you distinguish between equality and preferential treatment for disabled anglers?

In trying to help the disabled, some people could look on it as being given preferential treatment, in turn this can also be looked upon as demeaning, even though that was not the intention, and that in its self could result in prosecution for the very people who are tring to do their bit.

The problem is that I want to help, and I am trying to help, but I do feel as though I have to be very carefull in what I say to any disabled angler in fear of retribution.

B

Badger 184

You are a bailliff Baz and as such we all have to go by what you say or should, do not fear retribution if you are in the right, yes some could be awkward and try and come the "Im disabled " but we all have to obey the rules of the club waters or fisheries we use.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Dealing with disabled anglers is new ground for me Badger, and I need time to learn of the many do's and don'ts. I am talking of when they ask about access and such. You have seen the legislation, and the many pitfalls that could be encountered. And yes you are right about some anglers comeing the I'm disabled bit. I feel I have to be very gaurded in what I say to them. When all the time, all I am trying to do is help.