Broke my wading staff..

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
I have just managed to break my home made wading staff. Rather than search about for the right piece of hedgerow I'm thinking I might just buy one. Any recommendations?

keora

Reaction score
Yorkshire Game Angling sell a good collapsible wading staff for ?25 - six separate sections linked together by a strong elastic cord, easy to assemble.

www.yga.yorks.com

S

Shrek

I've got the Snowbee one and am very pleased with it.

If you do buy one, make sure it has a rubber foot rather than a metal tip, that way you'll make less noise wading.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Make one, A stout piece of holly is all you need.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I've got an old Richard Walker Mark IV built cane rod that I use as a wading staff ....

C

Colin North, the one and only

Ed, Poor old **** Walker would be turning in his grave if he knew what you done to one of his Rods.

I have a wading stick cut from a tree in the Ardennes Forest back in 1986 when I was there for the World Championships. I had travelled from Bromley, Kent to the Ardennes and it wasn't until I had arrived that I realised I had no wading stick with me. Our Belgian guide found a suitable tree in the Forest from which I cut one small branch as a stopgap. I still use that stopgap now, so I have had the stick for more than 21 years. Not bad for a stopgap! Of course, it has great sentimental value and I would be mortified if I lost or broke it.

J

john conway

My local farmer made me one about two years ago, can't remember what the wood was but it was out of the hedge, probably hazel?

J

john conway

Definitely not privet, I always thought privet was the kiss of death in agriculture hedges as is ewe. But that may be the evergreen type of privet most people use in there gardens and not the wild verity. I?ve had a quick look on the net but I couldn?t fine out if it was poisonous?

davestocker

Reaction score
Use one of those retractable/telescopic walking sticks that walkers use. Got 2 at a fiver each from Aldi on a promotion.

J

john conway

Dave, good thinking bat man, I#ve got two at home I never use.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"I've got an old Richard Walker Mark IV built cane rod that I use as a wading staff ...."

This man is a Phillistine!

Gamekeeper, set the dogs on him!

captain carrott

Reaction score
"I've got an old Richard Walker Mark IV built cane rod that I use as a wading staff ...."

at least he's getting some use out of it!

they are a bit too bendy for runner beans.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
i really should get one of these, last week i used a big branch that had fallen down. :) It worked ok though.

S

Sean Meeghan

Just be careful if your staff has a screw in weight on the bottom. Unless you use threadlock (or a spot of super glue) it comes undone!

If you're fishing alone on spate rivers you MUST use a wading staff - its a life saver. A weighted base and a lanyard allow you to let go and use 2 hands to fish with.

M

MarkTheSpark

Baz is right - it's the wood you choose that counts, but so much nicer than a chunk of lifeless aluminium.

Hazel is too flimsy and rots pretty quickly. Buckthorn is good - heavy and very strong. As Baz, says, holly is really strong. Briar, if you can find the right bit, is also good.

Stop the end splitting by shaving it down to accept a short piece of 22mm copper plumbing pipe, or you can buy brass end ferrules.

The most important bit is the loop of cord at the handle to stop you dropping it in.

Stuart Burgess

Reaction score
I use the shaft from a large golf size brolly .I cannibalised the brolly by removing all the spokes and material and then wrapped a piece of lead round the bottom end above the spike . I think it's made of fibre glass .

C

Colin North, the one and only

A good stout piece of Blackthorn is what you need to make your own.

F

Fred Bonney

I think he's probably sorted it by now/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif