Falling asleep at the reel

S

Stewart Bloor

The thread regarding night fishing, and the issues regarding anglers and sleep, started by Ron Clay, has raised some interesting points. But what do you think about the following?

As you will be aware, the man who caused the Selby crash has been jailed today.

The prosecution evidence was based on the fact that he hadn't had enough sleep and therefore shouldn't have been driving. Which is why he fell asleep at the wheel.

I'm not saying that it will necessarily turn out to be so, but there are possible implications for angling.

'' A typical scenario : You're up for work at 6.00 am, straight after the day's work you go fishing, having packed the rods in the car.

It's summer, a nice evening and the fish are feeding well. You don't want to pack up. It doesn't get dark anyway, until after 10.00 pm anyway.

By the time you pack up, get back to the car and set off home, it's the early hours.''

I don't think the knock on effect of the present situation with the man who fell asleep means that we are suddenly going to have police patrols looking out for tired drivers.

In some ways, it's one of those things that comes to the fore when something happens to bring it to light.

But while you're driving home (back to our scenario) you have a minor accident, get stopped by the police for a shot headlight, or something like that.

During the course of the conversation, it is discovered that you've been awake for almost 20 hours. Is it possible that, by going fishing straight from work, an offence has been committed?

There must, during the course of the year, be thousands of anglers who can associate with the previous scenario.

I know I've got back home on many, many occasions in the early hours of the morning. And I've been really tired on the drive back home.

What do you think?

S

sam oddy

Interesting point Sedge but as far as I am aware the only time an offence is committed is if the police feel strongly enough that you are driving dangerously.

In the case of a minor accident it is highly unlikely thst they will get involved unless someone is injured. Similarly for a minor defect with the car it is again unlikely any action would be taken unless the officer is feeling particularly beligerent.

The only specific time controlled driving relates to HGV drivers and their tacographs although again this relates solely to driving time not time since a maningful rest.

D

Dave Johnson

Dunno about the police being non to happy about tired anglers, my missus was fuming a few times last summer after I 'popped up to the Dove' after work a couple of times.....I was still bloody fishing four hours before I had to be at work the next morning!!!!! she was not amused...one last cast an all that.....

K

Kevan Farmer

Think about this logically. If every driver who had been awake for those amount of hours were to be stopped and perhaps prosecuted the police would not have time for anything else. Also, if everybody who had a new child in the house were to not drive because they hadn't had enough sleep then the country might well grind to a halt. I think it's going to be a case of 'dangerous driving' or even an accident already caused that would bring sleep deprivation into a court case.

In the case of the Selby disaster if you read between the lines this chap was probably up most nights tapping away at his keyboard. This would mean a cumulative effect on his body from lack of sleep. I certainly don't condone this behaviour but I don't think it would really affect us as anglers.

Now something along similar lines. How many of you have been fishing on a winter's day and not realised just how cold you have got until you get into that nice warm car. It doesn't mater how much sleep you had the night before it is very easy to fall into a nice cosy, warm, snug feeling and get very relaxed on the way home. What about he effects of cold and reaction times? Or like myself a good few years ago to have the onset of hypothermia?

It all makes you think.

Kevan

C

Cakey

Problem is people wont give in,I know my limits so I fish,drive etc accordingly,but my eldest son wont give in ,ive seen him fall asleep on his fishing chair and slide off straight into the water.

K

Kevan Farmer

That's something many of us have seen; or similar. I remember many years ago fishing the Severn at Ironbridge - this was in the barbel hayday. I was fishing one side of the river and a chap was fishing the other side - just upstream from the pub which I forget the name of. He must have been up early as we were. But he had fallen asleep and his rod suddenly shot into the water never to be seen again. It took him a couple of minutes to come round and realise what had happened. That was funny, but imagine if he had been at the wheel of a car.

Kevan

P

Paul Thompson

Sedge, As one of the 'few boys in blue', I feel qualified to answer your question (some would say that would be a first!!).
There are no specific offences involving tiredness and falling asleep whilst driving. However, if a driver is seen to be driving to a standard that would be deemed by another, to be of a manner that is dangerous, then they could be prosecuted.
We particulary concentrate on driving which we believe to be either dangerous, or of a poor standard ie those driving without due care or attention. Anyone falling asleep at the wheel could fall (almost literally) into either of those cases.
Having stopped drivers who have been falling asleep, the majority will admit they are too tired to drive, and they will generally recieve suitable advice. Some will ignore this and continue to put themselves, and others at risk. I find that explaining the implications of falling asleep and then knocking a small child over etc, have the desired affect.
Unfortunately, the high octane lifestyles led by many will continue to lead to these problems occuring. There seems to be no answer to this.

C

Cakey

Perhaps mobile phones ,loud stereos,smoking,and drinking (soft)are a good thing after all to keep us awake at the wheel