crucian carp

Specihunter

Reaction score
i'm going crucian hunting soon .Whats the best method,bait and location please (can you add line strength and hook size)

F

Fred Bonney

speci-hunter ????

Do you want somebody to hold your rod for you as well?
;O0

Specihunter

Reaction score
nope just when you fish a pit and you've been told they aqre in there dont want to waste time in the wrong area

Morespiders

Reaction score
Hi, speci-hunter ,you should have said, lady speci-hunter,and you wouldn't have lived long enough to read all the replies,
Fred, Bone, Ed,simple question, answer the man.

C

Cakey

you cant say that .........Fred Bone Ed......Fred is straight now if you said Ed Bone Fred

F

Fred Bonney

If it's that simple morespiders,you answer,or perhaps, he should try the the trial& error way of learning!
Not the instant path he seeks,like so many other modern fishcatchers.
After all he calls himself speci-hunter,so logic would say, he knows it all anyway!

I'm off for a while now,see you all soon.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Hello Speci hunter,I have always done well on bread flake for this species .for feed I just mash a loaf up with lake water so its pretty sloppy and feed with that.They like weed beds and lillies and you can catch them under your feet if quiet.Use a float with a size 10 or even a 8 hook and a nice lump of flake on it.Line wise I have had plenty on six pound line straight through fishing for tench but others would say go a lot lighter than that.Good luck anyway.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Fred, you are getting very grumpy(;-)) but I see where you are coming from.Buy a book, cruise the web and formulate a plan.That way satisfaction lies.That said a few pointers always come in handy.

Bite detection is the key as they are delicate biters.A fine insert waggler/canal grey would suit fished close in.

Plumb carefully.

If you a have a pole even better.

Soft pellets have been catching well it seems on some waters with micro pellet feed.

Beecy

Reaction score
pole, 6-8 elastic, 2-3 lb mainlaine, 1.5-2lb hooklength, 16-14 hook

4mm expander pellet on hook, feed nugetts of micro pellets in a fishmeal/ground pellett mush

location, anywhere not too far away from bankside reeds/cover/lilly pads in about 4-5 foot of water is ideal

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
For some strange reason it often pays to fish around two to three inches overdepth; no more no less. It has something to do with the way that crucians literally stand on their heads to feed. If you fish dead depth they push the bait out of the way.

james wilson 5

Reaction score
TRY 2 6MM CARP EXPANDER PELLETS 4 INCHES OVER DEPETH FEEDING 2MM MICRO PELLETS EARLY IN THE MORNING WHEN OVER CAST OK !!!!!

C

Cakey

I had a few out weds taking crust of the top whilst fishing for carp

Lawrence Bartram

Reaction score
I used to fish for crucians by using the lift method, small peacock quill bottom end only, size 14 hook, peace of corn over hemp. Set the float until the tip is just showing. Had very good resaults this way. Your all right aslong as there are no big carp about.

C

Colin North, the one and only

Specihunter

You don't say where you are located, but if you are in the South-East, I can thoroughly recommend Marsh Farm, its a day ticket water that belongs to Goldalming AS. It holds some stonking great crucians as well as some big tench. So far as I am aware, there are supposed to be no other species of carp, but my mate had a small common of 5 or 6lb.

The method I use is punch crumb, the largest of the regular sized punches (about 8 or 10 mm) and just cup in very fine dryish crumb. I usually do a couple of loaves of sliced bread in the liquidiser. That would certainly do a session, with lots left over.

Soft hooker pellets also work there, and, on its day, probably any bait, maggots and all.