is there a closed season on rivers

Wayne Bradford

Reaction score
hi all again i have been fishing for ages and i have just thought i have never fished on a river other than when i was a kid with my dad (rest his sole) and just heard somthin about the closed river season is this true and when does it reopen

once again thanx a lot guys PEACE

Tight Lines :)

J

Jeff Spiller

Hi Wayne
The close season is from March 16 to June the 16 on rivers, it's there to give the fish chance to breed in peace.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Bristol must be slightly different to the rest of us!

The closed season is March the 15th to June the 15th; ie the last day of the open season is March 14th and the first day when it reopens is June 16th.

J

Jeff Spiller

Thanks Mark,good of you to put me right.
I thought it might draw some comments, but about the "gives fish a chance to breed bit".
Baz will be be on my case next, he'll want to snatch my card !

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Oh please! Don't get Baz started again!

The closed season rules and regulations are however very confusing for a beginner like me. My local tackle shop tells me one thing. The EA website tells me another. Some fisheries operate a closed season, some don't. I'll err on the side of caution and resist the rivers until June 16th, for coarse fishing at least. I've recently taken up fly fishing, and it seems there's a completely different set of dates for the closed season when it comes to game fish.

As I said, all very confusing. At least I can still fish the canal whilst the river is out of bounds, but I don't understand, if this fish breeding argument is the reason for a closed season, why canals are any different to rivers. Can someone enlighten me?

C

Cakey

wish I knew ......the lea flows from Hertford to the Thames one half is river and closed the other half is canal and open ..................strange

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
"Oi!"

Oh my god. Someone has unleashed the sleeping devil....

Who
What
Where
When

Don't ask.

I'm getting a tad scared.....

captain carrott

Reaction score
the lea flows from Hertford to the Thames one half is river and closed the other half is canal and open ..................strange

and i bet all the fish in the canalised bit die every year because people fish for em as well.