Anyone beach fish the Gosport area?

shootinfishin

Reaction score
Work forces me to stay over at Gosport a coulpe of times a week.

Was thinking of gettting out beach casting, have always coarse, game and sea fished occasionally from a boat but beach fishing will be all new to me.

I see a lot of people at a couple of marks around gosport.

alan

Reaction score
i do occasionaly.

can be some very good marks there, espically this time of year when the smouthounds are turning up.

what area will you be fishing?

shootinfishin

Reaction score
I'm very flexible mate, I noticed a bit of activity around the Stokes bay & Alverstoke areas.

I can also get access to the shores within Fort Blockhouse if required. I was once told by the owner of a tackle shop that there are great marks within FB but obviously being a military base prevented anyone getting in to fish it.

I tend to stay down on a Tuesday and Thursday evening but can vary that during the week as well.

alan

Reaction score
due to the hours i work i can only fish on a sat night.

hassler wall(behind the hospital) steep wall, in the summer is good for bass on lures, and mackeral, in the winter whiting, through out the year you get all the usual fish. watchout for weavers, and the wall can be very slippery and is steep.

gillkicker, not fished it yet, supposed to be a deep water mark.

hill head(from the wall to under the cliffs, a very good smutt mark in the summer, evening tide, get there early or you wont find a spot. small crab baits(peeler or hardbacks) loose clutch and hold on tight. under the cliffs can be good for rays(thornies at the moment, stingers in the winter)

browndown, gets very busy in the summer with jetskies etc, unless there is no one around you wont be able to fish.

browndown, stokes bay, usual mix of fish depending on the time of year, not really fished for certain speices.

if you can get behind the shooting range at browndown, long old hike with tackle but another deepish water mark with wrecks in casting distance, supposed to be a good mark, heard of big bream coming from there at the moment.

millinium pier, great mark for everything. dont try to fish a spring tide as you wont hold bottom, cast towards gunwharf for all the usual fish, or drop the bait over the side for big pollock and bass. dont forget the bread ive seen 9lb mullet caught from here, just tie the hook straight to your mainline, and drop it over the side with a pinch of bread.

hope that helps a bit.

Bob Paulley

Reaction score
Probably a bit late for this, but I'll post anyway.

A highly underated mark is Stokes Bay, from the sea wall over by Battery B.

Autumn evenings, when it is cold, fishing from low tide, up..... There is a patch of rough ground about 150 yards out from the wall. It needs a good cast to get out there, although at low tide you only have to cast about 100, to get there.

It is very productive for whiting in winter and I have seen some decent bass during the summer.

Gillkicker is very hit and miss. There is an underwater ridge, directly in front of the fort. The problem tends to be the amount of weed, when the tide is running. However, fish to the left of the ridge when the tide is flowing and to the right when it is ebbing.